Steve Terry USITT Fellows Address Video

Steve,
Great stuff, you've expressed ideas I'd had floating around but not organized. Many thanks for putting this up. And we here @ the Kennedy Center now have an all LED theater.........

Much appreciated. I share the same thought process in the inclusion of projection in live production. It is a tool that does not necessarily need to be used. Wendall Harrington has probably talked her way out of as many productions as she has designed for this very reason. Do I see a time when we will have the full shift to energy efficient lighting, absolutely. But as you stated, when it is right for the industry.

Do I see a time when we will have the full shift to energy efficient lighting, absolutely. But as you stated, when it is right for the industry.

But the opposite case could be argued that if people aren't using it and excited about it, manufacturers won't make those products or develop the necessary technologies, and the resulting lack of developed products could act as a deterrent for people to adopt that technology.

There's another argument I'll propose which is that an all or mostly LED system lowers the barrier to entry for new theatre groups. It's less expensive to implement LED's than it is to buy dimmer racks, install a huge service from the power company, buy 12AWG cable for everything, install all of the required wiring infrastructure for hundreds of circuits.

Some people like to rail against the inexpensive RGB DJ-quality LED's with awful dimming curves, but I know at least one community theatre that bought a ton because to add any more conventionals would've been too costly (dimmer packs/racks, upgrading the service from the power company).

I'm not sure I'd call the lighting in their shows the pinnacle of spectacular design, but there's something to be said for making the artform more accessible for people who want to produce it and subsequently making it more accessible to people who want to enjoy it.

Much appreciated. I share the same thought process in the inclusion of projection in live production. It is a tool that does not necessarily need to be used. Wendall Harrington has probably talked her way out of as many productions as she has designed for this very reason. Do I see a time when we will have the full shift to energy efficient lighting, absolutely. But as you stated, when it is right for the industry.

Wendall has always said it best on projection:

"Just give 'em a smell of it."

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back