Stone Table Cracking in Half

We are doing Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe for the fall play. The stone table is also doubling as the main set piece for the show and will be used for most of the show.

The problem I'm coming up with is trying to figure out how to build the thing so the entire piece can crack in 2.

Stone Table specs.
16' by 8'
DS legs 2'
US legs 4'
rake is 2'

The plan is to break it apart and let parts of the platform hit the stage floor, causing the desired sound effect.

I'm thinking about some sort of hinge/pulley/rod system to hold it together and let it be sturdy enough to be used, but am not sure how to (safely) pull this off.

I'm assuming the platform is empty when it cracks in half and also that at least part of it won't hold actors after the effect. True? I think you could enhance the effect of the crack AND avoid having to put actors on a platform supported by collapsing legs by making one side raise up at a different rake than the other so it looks like it's being pushed up out of the ground. The section in question could sit on solid legs for the majority of the show and then be lifted (by a simple lever or longer legs with hinges in the center?) as long as no one needed to stand on it again. Perhaps the other section just moves away slightly but remains on it's solid legs. This doesn't help with your sound effect but whatever you make this out if isn't going to sound like cracking or falling stone when it hits the stage floor anyway.

Let's say you have the table on it's own platform, call it a Dias. If Hydraulic, pneumatic or electric linear actuators were used in the platform and the table legs were hinged you could push apart the platform with the actuators. If the tables were simply "leaning" into each other they would be locked in place as long as the actuators were in the closed position. You activate the actuators, the base 'Splits' the table "Cracks". If you install hinges in the top of the table it will reinforce the strength of the table and, unless you're in a really small house, they shouldn't be visible. if they are you could simply Dutchman them and blend them with the paint on the rest of the table top.
Don't know what your budget is but this could be done in a number of ways rather inexpensively.

I don't think you've given us enough detail. Do you want it to split down the middle and fall apart? or split down the middle and fall inward toward center? Do you want the thing to crumble into many pieces? Maybe just the legs collapse and it falls straight down? The type of effect will affect the mechanics of it. (grammar nazis, did I use effect/affect correctly?)

The type of effect will affect the mechanics of it. (grammar nazis, did I use effect/affect correctly?)

You got it right.

"affect" shows action- verb
"effect" is a noun

To the topic at hand:
The term "stone table" can be taken several different ways. Is this an actual table with a top and legs or is it simply a stone slab perched on another smaller flat stone? Or maybe it's a large stone block? @bobgaggle is correct in that the type of table will dictate how it cracks and how it cracks will dictate the mechanics.

I don't think you've given us enough detail. Do you want it to split down the middle and fall apart? or split down the middle and fall inward toward center? Do you want the thing to crumble into many pieces? Maybe just the legs collapse and it falls straight down? The type of effect will affect the mechanics of it. (grammar nazis, did I use effect/affect correctly?)

I am picturing it cracking down the middle and both sides falling inward toward the center.

You got it right.

"effect" is a noun

To the topic at hand:
The term "stone table" can be taken several different ways. Is this an actual table with a top and legs or is it simply a stone slab perched on another smaller flat stone? Or maybe it's a large stone block? @bobgaggle is correct in that the type of table will dictate how it cracks and how it cracks will dictate the mechanics.

More akin to an actual table with many legs.

I would hinge a few legs and build a track for them to go through and pin them. When the time is right pull all the pins and watch it drop.

The rest of the legs make out of foam if you want it to look like more legs.

So...people have to stand on it before the climactic split?
Then 2 pieces butted together and held with pins. A set of hinged legs on either side of the joint and pull the pins and yank the legs out at the right time?

/OT, sorry.
You got it right.
"effect" is a noun
Of course, there are always acceptions...
"affect" noun, "He had an odd affect about him."
"effect" verb, "Voting can effect change in our society."

Thus one can affect the effect, or effect the affect.
http://grammarist.com/usage/affect-effect/

Than and Then, however, should never be confused. Sorry @ship, @Footer, @SteveB, et al.
-----
So this post won't be a total waste...

A 8'x16' table? Cast of Brobdingnagians? A table may be any length, but should not be wider than 5'-6' max., else no one can reach anything in the center, whether seated or standing.

A 8'x16' table? Cast of Brobdingnagians? A table may be any length, but should not be wider than 5'-6' max., else no one can reach anything in the center, whether seated or standing.

Don't restrict Creativity by demanding Utility!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back