Stop blowing holes in my Gels

MikeyHP

HI, Im currently having problems with my 1Kw Altman Scoups putting quarter size holes in my gels at 60 percent. Do I need a specific type of gels for my scoups? Im try to make a RGBA color wash.:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest using either a Lee HT color or buying some heatshield or gelshield.

Have you tried putting Heat-Shield in between the gel and the fixture? (make sure the Heat Shield "gel" is installed correctly). This can certainly help.

Gel replacement, expecially with very saturated gels is just something you have to live with. But putting in Heat Shield extends gel life.

The best way to extend the life of your saturated gels is to limit their use. When you don't need them on, leave them off. Also helps with the power bill.

What gels are you using? Are you running the proper lamp in your fixture?

The more saturated the gel, the more light the gel absorbs. That heat had to go somewhere. I would suggest trying to put some heat shield in place. If you can, go with a less saturated gel. Scoops are not the best thing for lighting a cyc, there is nowhere for the heat to go but through the gel.

With highly saturated gels and high wattage lamps in a poorly ventilated instrument you are going to get burned out gels. There are a few things you can do to help.

The proper use of Heat shield is with a gel extender. You can't do that with a Scoop easily. Slipping a piece of heat shield in might help a little, but HS is flipping expensive and I think it would be a waste.

You can go with a high temp gel such as Lee HT or GAM and they should last longer than your average Rosco.

As an alternative you can try pouncing the gel. This will let out the heat and doesn't effect the color too much. Of course I would recommend testing it on a piece of scrap or an already burned out gel to make sure that you aren't going to let too much white light through.

-Tim

I would suggest a high temp LEE gel, but I'm curious as to what model scoops you are using, and if you are using the correct lamps in them. People have been lighting cyc's for years with scoops.

I would suggest a high temp LEE gel, but I'm curious as to what model scoops you are using, and if you are using the correct lamps in them. People have been lighting cyc's for years with scoops.

I would agree with this. Be sure your lamps are right, as scoops should not have this problem, especially at 60%.

In our fall production we were using a lot of L120 Deep Blue on pars. We were burning through them like crazy. We tried heat shield and it worked OK. Once we coupled the heat shield with about 10 small pin punctures to vent we could make it through a show without burning through a gel.

Brian

P.S. In the category of "stupid things an inexperienced lighting person does"...don't use a silver sharpie in place of a china marker....unless you purposely want to burn patterns of numbers and letters in your gels. Works great.

The old standard to increasing the life of saturated gels was to run it over several times with a pounce wheel. Myself, i've never really been sure of how well it works.

proxy.php

We are using the focusable version

I still can't help but wonder if you are using the proper lamp for the fixture. If you can, remove the lamp from the fixture and look for a 3 letter code on its base.

Yeah, make sure you have the right lamp in the thing and that it's not spotted down (as much as you can "spot down" a scoop). The right lamp is an EGJ from a "radial" Leko, not the BTR from a Fresnel.

I have the same issue I'm at a high school and we need new gels every show. This is because people that don't know how to use the light board.... Not you but other teachers in the school choir/band teachers that also use the stage. They think they know what they are doing but they don't. I come in and ALL 24CHS are up to %100 and no one is on stage. Turns out they have been like this for 3per so 3 hours almost everyday adds up my friend.

See who else is using your light board... Unprogram those lights and see what happens they wont be smart enough to program them back in. Let us know what happens. Thats my two cents.

BTW Last Time I Buy Gels!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back