Control/Dimming Strand 300 and C21 Dimmer Problems

Kioti

Hey everyone, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place!
I work at a school and help them out with tech. We have a Strand 300 series console installed with a C21 rack/processor with 96 dimmers installed. Everything has been working fine but recently one of our drama classes fired up the console and our fixtures are now acting like non-dimmable lights.

I am pretty much self-taught on this system and the installer didn't leave us with a lot of info on it, so my terminology is probably a little off. I'm a computer guy and a sound guy so lighting is not my area of expertise by any means.

The lights are connected to the dimmer rack through Cat5 (Shownet). We also have a DMX cable that controls our few LED fixtures we have purchased over the years but that doesn't seem to go through the rack. We have had some techs out to look at our system before and we only really have 1 choice for someone that knows the Strand systems in our area. I'm trying to get this up and running again without needing a tech to come out so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Things I have tried:
- 220clean and repatch the lights
- manually set levels through the live display
- manually control the fixtures from the C21 rack processor
- checked the processor modules models where the correct type
- checked the Regulation mode was not on Non-Dim (ThReg is set for our 76562 SSR Dimmers)
- reboot the C21 rack incase something was a little off
- I think I checked the dimmer profile but not certain... have done a lot in the last 2 days troubleshooting

Thanks again for anything you might be able to suggest. Even if its another contact somewhere!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, the LED fixtures we have seem to dim fine, so I'm assuming the signals coming from the console are fine and it is a problem in the rack somewhere?

Last edited:
Dimmers have two modes of operation, Dim and Relay. In relay mode your light is either on or off. Sounds like whatever program flag (ether on the board or rack) that controls this has be set to relay mode. Could be a board or rack hiccup. Rebooting will not fix it, the flag has to be set back to dim mode.

Hey everyone, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place!
I work at a school and help them out with tech. We have a Strand 300 series console installed with a C21 rack/processor with 96 dimmers installed. Everything has been working fine but recently one of our drama classes fired up the console and our fixtures are now acting like non-dimmable lights.

I am pretty much self-taught on this system and the installer didn't leave us with a lot of info on it, so my terminology is probably a little off. I'm a computer guy and a sound guy so lighting is not my area of expertise by any means.

The lights are connected to the dimmer rack through Cat5 (Shownet). We also have a DMX cable that controls our few LED fixtures we have purchased over the years but that doesn't seem to go through the rack. We have had some techs out to look at our system before and we only really have 1 choice for someone that knows the Strand systems in our area. I'm trying to get this up and running again without needing a tech to come out so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Things I have tried:
- 220clean and repatch the lights
- manually set levels through the live display
- manually control the fixtures from the C21 rack processor
- checked the processor modules models where the correct type
- checked the Regulation mode was not on Non-Dim (ThReg is set for our 76562 SSR Dimmers)
- reboot the C21 rack incase something was a little off
- I think I checked the dimmer profile but not certain... have done a lot in the last 2 days troubleshooting

Thanks again for anything you might be able to suggest. Even if its another contact somewhere!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, the LED fixtures we have seem to dim fine, so I'm assuming the signals coming from the console are fine and it is a problem in the rack somewhere?
@Kioti Two comments:
a; You're somewhere in Canada. Ron Foley is based in Guelph, Ontario and sells, installs and commissions all things Strand in eastern Canada from Ontario, to PEI.
b; I'll use Control Booth's 'Bat Call' to summon Ron Foley to your post. @Ron Foley Would you please come to @Kioti 's aid?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

yes
he has asked for a service call

we have been in contact with the drama teacher

what is your role here?
That is good to hear a service call has been place! I'll leave the system alone and await the tech! I believe we have met. I'm a teacher and help with the tech crew in the building. I believe Jeff pulled me in to talk with you the last time we had a service call to explain what was happening with the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back