Control/Dimming Strand 300 Dual Monitors - Installing 2nd Graphics Card

JasperLX

Hey guys! I'm new here!

This is a very simple question but I thought I'd check here before I go ahead:

I would like to install a 2nd graphics card in a Strand 300 series console but I am unsure how to remove the case! (I know! :rolleyes:) Do I need to remove the screws where the fan is? Which screws do I remove?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I know this is very easy but don't want to undo a screw that holds the fan in place and not be able to put it back in!

Many thanks in advance!

It is but I have permission from the appropriate people and they're 'supervising' me! (I see your concern though! :) )

No expert here, I haven't even seen one in person, but, I quickly perused the manual and they had the usual disclaimers about no user servicable parts inside, so don't open, but if you do use an ESD wrist strap to prevent static electricity problems. Near the end of the manual in the section about adding an ethernet card, they pointed out that there are three screws on the bottom, at the front, remove them and the top lifts up like a car hood (er, I guess bonnet over there:) ). They suggested pulling the console forward on a table to access these screws. I wonder, does the current itteration of strand (Strand/Phillips) have a user group or forums?

Ah I see! Okay, I shall give that a go.. I didn't check the bottom for screws, only the back and sides. Thanks a lot!
I don't think they do have any forums, but I'm not 100% sure on that!

Thanks again! :)

The closest strand has to my knowledge is the Strand Developer Forum. That probably isn't the ideal place for that, but it's probably better than nothing. Also, keeping in mind I'm no expert on this particular console, I highly doubt that there is a location on the console where a second would work. Even if there is, the thing is old and you should make sure that your graphics card is compatible with the socket on the console before you do any purchasing or surgery.

The screws on the fan are actually there to hold the “ears” on. They will need to come out to remove the lid as well as the other screws previously mentioned. Be careful while you are in there, it is a computer which means it is static sensitive and residual voltage on power supply capacitors. (It goes without saying that you should have unplugged everything before doing this [but yes, I’ll say it anyway, unplug everything.]) The video card designed for the console should fairly easily slip into the first pci slot, but I have had them before where the VGA connector got caught on the case on the way down and you have to finagle it a bit. Don’t forget to put the 3 shorting jumpers in on the mother board or the card won’t work properly. After you have it running again, you have to go into the settings and tell it you are using 2 monitors. Fun fact, if you have 2 monitors hooked up but only one enabled in the settings, the second monitor will display the basically garbage.

The closest strand has to my knowledge is the Strand Developer Forum. That probably isn't the ideal place for that, but it's probably better than nothing. Also, keeping in mind I'm no expert on this particular console, I highly doubt that there is a location on the console where a second would work. Even if there is, the thing is old and you should make sure that your graphics card is compatible with the socket on the console before you do any purchasing or surgery.

I'll have a look in there, thanks! Might be some useful information!

The screws on the fan are actually there to hold the “ears” on. They will need to come out to remove the lid as well as the other screws previously mentioned. Be careful while you are in there, it is a computer which means it is static sensitive and residual voltage on power supply capacitors. (It goes without saying that you should have unplugged everything before doing this [but yes, I’ll say it anyway, unplug everything.]) The video card designed for the console should fairly easily slip into the first pci slot, but I have had them before where the VGA connector got caught on the case on the way down and you have to finagle it a bit. Don’t forget to put the 3 shorting jumpers in on the mother board or the card won’t work properly. After you have it running again, you have to go into the settings and tell it you are using 2 monitors. Fun fact, if you have 2 monitors hooked up but only one enabled in the settings, the second monitor will display the basically garbage.

Okay! Thank you. Yep, it'll be unplugged! ;) I'll keep that in mind... Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back