Automated Fixtures Strand 500 series

sprockets

Could someone please tell me how to lamp off moving lights on the Strand 520i desk? Varilite 2500s in particular.
I know I need to set the reset channel to 66 percent, and I can't use the encoders, but when I type in x.20 @ 66 nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help is very much appreciated.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but it covers allmost all aspects of the ML programing on the 500, without having to trawl through the manual. Strand 500 ML hope this helps in some way
Nick Jones

This is just a vague recollection, but I think that when you use a moving light profile to patch units, you end up with a strangely profiled dimmer on the control channel. You might want to check the curve on that dimmer and make sure that a channel level of 66 is also a dimmer level of 66.

Of course I could be confusing my consoles, it's been a few boards since I was on a Strand.

Hi, thanks

I realize that the channel runs 0-255, and it definitely is 66% to lamp off on the Strand, and I think 90% to Lamp on. I think I'm just telling it in the wrong way. I read something about having to set it directly and leave it for 3 seconds before the reset channel kicks in.

Thank you Nick for the link, I have read the ML tutorial, and have no problem programming the VLs, its just the lamping off that I can't seem to get, which unfortunately isn't in the tutorial

From the VL2500 Spot Luminaire User Guide:
To use control channel functions:
Step 1. Select an action to be sent.
Step 2. Set control channel value for desired action (for example, 84 [DMX Value, or 33%] for reset). Hold value for 3 seconds.
Note: A numerical keypad is required for sending values. An encoder or fader does not allow for a “snap” value change, which is required to affect the control functions.
Step 3. Set control channel value to zero. (This must occur without any scaling values. Action will be voided if other values are detected between action value and zero.)

I think this is what I read, and thank you very much for quoting it. I think maybe what I'm not doing is setting the control channel back to 0 after setting it to 66. I'll give it try tonight.

Thanks!

I find that the best way for writing fixture and lamp commands is to create a macro. If you want to do all your fixtures at once, just write it into one macro. You can create pauses by typing Control-P on a regular keyboard. This allows you to program in the 3-5 second value hold that is required to send many commands. You can also write macros that can effect single units without writing one for each. Just start the macro with ".20" and then when you want to run it, type in the channel number then run the macro.

Aside from that, what everyone has said is pretty useful. Chances are that your issue is not setting the channel back to 0 after the 3-5 second hold. However, there are other factors that could be at work. Are you trying to shut fixtures down at the end of the day or between rehearsals, or in the middle of a show. If you happen to be trying to destrike fixtures in the middle of the day and you are continuing to work, or leaving the console on and coming back later, make sure that you are not leaving things in a cue where Auto Move While Dark might set the fixtures to a state where they would lamp back on.

Thanks very much. I managed to lamp them off... finally! Even did a bit of a victory lap. I will certainly make some macros for them now, and thanks also for the advice about writing in the pauses via the keyboard, that would have probably been my next question.

The VLs are grateful as well, I'm sure.

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back