Strand CD 80 power issue

Cranecoyote

We have been having dimming issues with our lighting since our supply power was changed from three phase to single phase. We have lost dimming capability at the low end.

We have Strand CD 80 packs connected to a ETC Express 9648. I did confirm that the phase selectors are in single, but they were already that way when our supply power was three phase. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

I think we need a little more information to help diagnose the problem.
First, what do you mean by "lost dimming capacity at the low end"? Do the lamps dim to a certain point and then drop out? Or, if you have a low wattage load, they don't dim regularly?
Second, there are at least two versions of CD80 packs that I can think of, can you post a picture of the packs?
Third, it is odd for power supplies to be changed from three phase to single phase. Usually, utilities are upgrading services not downgrading. Can you post pictures of the power tie-in? Please follow all required procedures to protect yourself from any arc flash or electrical danger.
Fourth, on the Express 48/96 in the patch display, do you have any dimmer profiles set that would change the dimming curve to affect what you are seeing?
Fifth, what type of load are you trying to dim? CD80's will not dim LED and Fluorescent loads well.
Take care,
John

Reactions: Van
If your system is somewhat recent, look for the markings "AE" (Advanced Electronics) and "SV" (Supervisor)

Pictures of everything already mentioned above would be nice.

If your system is somewhat recent, look for the markings "AE" (Advanced Electronics) and "SV" (Supervisor)

Pictures of everything already mentioned above would be nice.
The OP said he has CD80 packs, not racks. I didn't know Strand ever released their packs in an AE version.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Odd. I would expect no problem or a massive problem changing from three phase to single. If the ZVC timing was not changed, a third of your dimmers would work correctly, a third would kick in at 33% and only come up to 66%, and a third would be at 33% when at 0, and would go to 100% at 2/3's then black out again. Since this is not the case, I suspect another value in the dimmer configuration was accidentally changed when the changeover took place, such as the low end offset or trim.

Portable dimmer packs of this size usually will have an option to run from three or single phase. There are different generations of portable CD80 packs so pictures might be relevant here. In the CD80 pack I am familiar with, two things need to done to switch from three to single phase. First, there is a dip-switch on the front panel to tell the processor what the phasing of the input power will be. Second, inside the pack there is a blue power jumper. This jumper changes the input power to certain dimmers from a three phase source to a single phase source. The jumper positions are labeled on the connector.

If everything is set correctly and the input power is within the proper range, the dimming curve of each channel should be the same regardless if it is being powered from single or three phase.

We have been having dimming issues with our lighting since our supply power was changed from three phase to single phase. We have lost dimming capability at the low end.

We have Strand CD 80 packs connected to a ETC Express 9648. I did confirm that the phase selectors are in single, but they were already that way when our supply power was three phase. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Have a look her http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/cd80packs_manual_080306.pdf for the pack dip switch information, and also on Page 27 in the info on setting the jumper to change the dimmer curve.
It has been a while since I have used one of these, but I seem to remember that possibly there was a dip switch that changed the curve. I know there was one for the analog input that changed from 10 to 15 volt top, but possibly there was another not defined in this manual that changed the low end curve. If there is another dip switch not identified here, try it in the other position.

Rob Montgomery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back