Strand CD80 dimmer not working

So... I have a dimmer that's not working. 30 year old Strand CD-80 AE rack, ETC Ion board. I've swapped out the dimmer module with a known working one and still no dice. I also put a "Hot" module in, and got power to the circuit on stage. I know the rack is getting signal because everything else works, so I'm left with some internal signal issue in the rack itself with, I'm guessing a dimmer control module, wiring, or ????, the other dimmer in the dimmer module works. Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

So... I have a dimmer that's not working. 30 year old Strand CD-80 AE rack, ETC Ion board. I've swapped out the dimmer module with a known working one and still no dice. I also put a "Hot" module in, and got power to the circuit on stage. I know the rack is getting signal because everything else works, so I'm left with some internal signal issue in the rack itself with, I'm guessing a dimmer control module, wiring, or ????, the other dimmer in the dimmer module works. Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts?
@Mr. Manager The half of the module that's not working: No output or output at full and not dimming? Either is possible.
Possibly, not likely, a damaged / burnt / oxidized control input contact on the rear of the module but this is quite unlikely.
Let's put CD's 'Bat Call' to work: @Ron Foley and / or @bharrell Would / could either (or both) of you come to @Mr. Manager 's aid??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Did you check your patch on the ION. Something could of gotten messed up.

The patch is correct in the Ion. We're sending a signal to the right dimmer number to the rack, it's just not making it to the module so far as I can tell. This is all original electronics, retrofit is forthcoming as soon as other things stop breaking and stealing money from that project.

The patch is correct in the Ion. We're sending a signal to the right dimmer number to the rack, it's just not making it to the module so far as I can tell. This is all original electronics, retrofit is forthcoming as soon as other things stop breaking and stealing money from that project.
@Mr. Manager Three comments on the Strand CD80 AE racks:
a; They're great and reliably rock solid until their original electronics begin to fail. The actual dimmer and non-dim modules are indestructible.
b; Once their electronics begin failing, it's a downhill side. (Gaining speed the longer it slides, building up momentum)
c; Shaun Johnson, Johnson Systems, builds Strand retrofit electronics better than Strand did; I can't say enough in favor of Shaun's products, their ease and speed of installation and / or Shaun's followup support.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back