Strand Century 2341???

Jeremiah

I'm currently creating a folder that contains all of the old paper work (specifications/photometrics) for our inventory of misfit "toys." So far I have every thing from EC 3381 ERS', to Strand Century 2321 ERS', and then back to 8" Kliegl Fresnel's #3608.

But I can not for the life of me find any information on the Strand Century 2341. I have about 9 of these, they are all marked as a 6x6, and have a single stepped lense. Unlike the 2321's and the 2331's that we have, which are both configured with two plano-convex lenses.

If anyone has a link to a .pdf file for this model, I would appreciate it.

Also while I'm at it. I have about 9 8" Fresnels, with the logo AD (D overlapping the A, in White) on the side of the yoke adjustment knob.
What company is this? And does anyone have a link to a .pdf file on these?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

I highly doubt anyone will have a link to a PDF for either of those. Perhaps someone will have an old catalogue they can scan.

If I had a copy of the Photometrics Handbook by Robert Mumm handy I'd look in there, it's likely a good place to start.

Your fresnels were made by Ariel Davis, the precursor to Electro Controls, which was later assimilated into Strand.

...If I had a copy of the Photometrics Handbook by Robert Mumm handy ...
Page 203:
Century Strand 2341 (w/ shutters), 2342 (w/ iris). This unit was also sold as Century 1496.
Beam Angle: 18°; Field Angle: 28°; Standard Lamp: EGG 750W [originally 750T12/9]
mf=0.5, pc=58,800.
Sadly, the book does not provide information on lenses.

In theory, a unit having a single 6x6 step lens is equivalent to a unit having two 6x12 plano convex lens es. See Gullstrand's Equation. In actuality, all ERSs using stepped lenses suffer from uneven field, often with a target bullseye pattern due to the risers of the lens.

Noah is correct re: Ariel Davis Manufacturing Company. From Memory Lighting Control Systems, History - ControlBooth , we see that your Fresnels date prior to 1964. And that your Century Strand units date from 1969-1974, if in fact they are branded Century Strand and not Strand Century.

Last edited:
I just ordered a few copies of the Photometrics Handbook for the class I'm teaching, not two days ago. It will be good to have some of that information on paper. I would still like to find a scanned copy of the original catalog information, but that might be pushing my luck.

Thanks for the info on the Ariel Davis instruments, I had no idea that there was a precursor/rival company to EC. I was wondering why the EC and AD logo were so very similar. And now I know :p
The more I learn about these lights the more I find how little our equipment has been upgraded since the theatre was built. Crazy stuff..... And rather depressing...

I have about 9 of these, they are all marked as a 6x6, and have a single stepped lense. Unlike the 2321's and the 2331's that we have, which are both configured with two plano-convex lenses.

Jeremiah

I had six of these at one time, I converted them to 6*9 by replacing the lens. The planoconvex version will use two lenses which almost touch _ somewhere I have the equations to work out the focal length of the lenses you need to achieve a fixture focal length if you want to eliminate the stepped lenses.

Sorry that I'm a little bit behind in my reply, but I wonder if these may help you out. I found two pieces in our Strand Century archives, a 4-page brochure covering a range of LEKOLITE spotlights, dated 1971, and a datasheet for the 2341/42 from 1977. I'm feeling a bit old now, but I would just like to say that these were from BEFORE I started working here. ;) If you need further information, I'll be happy to look as time permits me to.

View attachment SLI_Lekolite_2341_broch_1971.pdf View attachment SLI_Lekolite_2341_42_c1977.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back