The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Strand Century Axial Lekos

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Grog12, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

I hate those lights with a passion...there is no eaiser light to knock out of alignment, you sneeze and the thing needs to be benched. Not to mention the fact that if you happen to accidently unscrew the barrel knob to the lens train while in the air its next to impossible to get back in.

2. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Re: Strand Cent

I have a bunch of the Century Strand Axials in my inventory, and I have to disagree with you. First off they are probably the easiest lights to bench focus: play with the joystick and slide the lamp cap in and out :rolleyes: Secondly, they essentially force to to bench them every time to change lamps, which you are supposed to do on any ERS fixture. In terms of lenses, sure, they are heavy, but unless the unit is pointing straight down they are not that hard to change, we do it all the time.

When these units are clean and benched they produce a nice even field that you can get nice and sharp. They can come very close to the output of a Source 4.

3. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

The Colortrans allowed for better alignment (still the best design I've seen) as the lamp socket was mounted on a curved plate under spring tension that allowed the lamp to be adjusted down the axis of the fixture. Very useful for the FEL and EHG series when the manufacturing tolerances didn't have the filament aligned with the base.

Steve B.

4. Grog12

These features are exactly what I don't like about them...the bolt for the slide cap continually loosens up and doesn't tighten down enough to keep the cap from sliding if you accidently bump it. The joystick, while great for posistioning during bench, is a pain in the neck to keep in place while tightening.

As for the lenses...that stupid little slidey piece of metal is what keeps you from putting the lens back in at anything greater than a 45 degree angle.

5. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Maybe it is just me and my crew, but we don't seem to experience the problems you speak of, and we have over 50 of these instruments in active service. To each his own I suppose.

6. Grog12

That's a fair assesment ice...in the 4 years I dealt with them those were the problems I expierenced. Are they the end all be all statements on the light...definelty not....I'm just crochety

7. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

I plan to decommission a few each year as I have money to replace them, so many will probably stay in service for a few years unless someone makes some big donation or we have another huge running show like Les Mis last season. With money from Les Mis I was able to retire our entire inventory of Strand Century radials, replaced with Source 4's.

8. Lightingguy32

Lightingguy32 Active Member

If there aren't source fours in a venue i'd actually be going with
    colortran 5/50 fixtures, they are a little heavy, but the way their lens tubes are made reminds me of the Source four, and their optics are much cleaner than the 360Q (the newer colortran 5/50s use Borosilicate glass just like the source four lenses.)