Control/Dimming Strand Century mantrix 2S

Courtesy of dimmerdotcom's site, link.pdf to a manual (for a regular Mantrix system. The 2S was an updated version, but most everything should be similar.)

As for "Can I hook it into my existing system?", well that depends, since we don't know anything about your existing system. The Mantrix 2S most likely outputs AMX192 on a TA-4F connector, which is great if you have 1979-era CD80 dimmers! If not, you could buy an AMX192 to DMX512 protocol converter, but that would likely cost more than the board is worth.
[-]If your board's "Dimmer Out" is a female XLR5, you're in luck, as it speaks industry standard DMX512, which will control just about any modern dimmer.[/-] See post#4 below.

Last edited:
I lived with a large pile of those things back in the day; I don't believe the product made it into the DMX era at all, so a protocol conversion would be needed to address any
current dimmers. For it's time it was a right cool device: in one mode a four scene preset
board ( for any who like confusing Q-sheets ) that would be the "hold" buttons you'll have noticed, in the other mode you can turn the whole bottom scene into sub handles.........
Ah the eighties...........

AMX[-]96[/-]192 only. That's why the old strand stuff had a dim 1 and a dim 2 outputs on those nasty TA4 connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat anchor is a bit harsh...

I had one of these at a venue I worked for a few years ago. I loved the "hold" buttons for doing live dance shows by the seat of my pants. As stated above, it is only AMX so you will need a protocol converter to make it work with a DMX system. I also found the fuse and reset buttons a bit touchy so you might also watch what you have along the back of the console. (It could be just the console I was working with.)

If you tell us more about the rest of your system, we may be able to tell you if it would work right off the bat or not...

Note: This post represents only my personal opinion(s) and does not necessarily represent the view(s) of my employer (or anyone else for that matter).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back