Strand Iris 4

You will probably have to go to your local sheet metal shop (they usually make air-conditioning ductwork) to have them made as I'm pretty sure you won't find any. Make a sketch showing the outside and inside dimensions to take with you.They should be 405mm x 310mm outside dimension. If you look for a small "mom and pop" type shop rather than a big industrial outfit, they are more likely to help you out; often they find it interesting to do something a little out of the ordinary. You might take a gel frame from another type fixture to show them what you're talking about.
My local "go to" guy also makes sheet metal pieces for local dirt track racers, so that might be a tip that the shop is willing to do more than ductwork. Be sure to ask how much they will charge!
I would use ordinary metal (not fiberglas) screen wire for the safety mesh. You should be able to find a replacement knob at Lowe's or Home Depot.... not sure whether it would be standard or metric.
Take one for comparison purposes.

+1 for making them yourself/having them made. IIRC the Strand Iris colorframes and screens use that flat steel similar to, but a little thicker than, the strapping on pallets, spot welded at the corners. Just like the Altman SkyCyc and many other RSC-lamped fixtures. The two identical pieces are held together with paper fasteners (brads). Piece of cake to make once the stock is found. Someone here will know what it is.

proxy.php

Above image is for a SkyCyc, but Iris is the same, just different dimensions. One can get TWO cuts out of a full sheet of color media, unlike SkyCyc.

As for the screen, I've never used it (Shame on me.)

+1 for making them yourself/having them made. IIRC the Strand Iris colorframes and screens use that flat steel similar to, but a little thicker than, the strapping on pallets, spot welded at the corners. Just like the Altman SkyCyc and many other RSC-lamped fixtures. The two identical pieces are held together with paper fasteners (brads). Piece of cake to make once the stock is found. Someone here will know what it is.

proxy.php

Above image is for a SkyCyc, but Iris is the same, just different dimensions. One can get TWO cuts out of a full sheet of color media, unlike SkyCyc.

As for the screen, I've never used it (Shame on me.)
You can only get one cut per sheet IF your using Rosco's one way stretch gel and orient it to widen the spread.
I never used the screens either.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

If your going to have them made I would have them spot weld the screen onto the frame. Also have them weld some hinges onto the frames to make them all one piece.

Hi All,
We just had 8 Strand Iris 4 cyc lights donated to a high school I work at.
They need gel frames, wire mesh safety screens and 1 yoke knob. Anybody have a lead as to where to get these? Or a work around?
Thanks all!
I have 5 of the 3-cell version of this unit taking up space in my storage room. They all have all the parts. I also have around a dozen NIB lamps, plus lamps in most of the fixtures. I'd be happy to scavenge the parts you need and box them up and send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back