Strand Lighting Issue

dtfan2003

Hey everybody

The organization I work for just took management over a 2500 seat theater. I have done some lighting in the past with small systems.... but usually have been a sound guy.

So here is what I have found....

We have a Strand CD 80 Rack Dimmer system with an Strand Impact board. So far if we turn on the dimmer switches some lights will come on after flipping the breaker on, then after a while will go off and then others will come on.
I tried to hook up the Impact board, but with no manual for the software...still looking for, I have no idea where to start.

If anyone could push me into the corner and beat me up... Oh I mean if anyone could point me in the direction to learn more about what I don't know, I know a loaded question, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have search the internet and no luck.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Scott

Hey Man!

Congrats on the new Venue. Sorry your having problems though!

I would just check that your Dimmers arent over loaded or anything like that :rolleyes: Then I would just make sure everything is patched right and all your raceways are open and wiring is correct! I hope it is not a bigger issue.

Good Luck!

Hey everybody

The organization I work for just took management over a 2500 seat theater. I have done some lighting in the past with small systems.... but usually have been a sound guy.

So here is what I have found....

We have a Strand CD 80 Rack Dimmer system with an Strand Impact board. So far if we turn on the dimmer switches some lights will come on after flipping the breaker on, then after a while will go off and then others will come on.
I tried to hook up the Impact board, but with no manual for the software...still looking for, I have no idea where to start.

If anyone could push me into the corner and beat me up... Oh I mean if anyone could point me in the direction to learn more about what I don't know, I know a loaded question, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have search the internet and no luck.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Scott

If the rack is controlled over AMX, leaving the AMX plugged in with board off seems to make lights turn on.

ZMB is right -- a standard (i.e. older AMX-only) CD80 rack's dimmers will often drift on, but this indicates that either a) the rack is receiving a control protocol it doesn't understand, or b) the console output or control cable is defective in some way. The Impact was a great board IMHO. I sold and serviced several of them back in the early '90s. It had 2 DMX512 outputs that each handled 480 dimmers, and I think it also had multiple AMX192 outputs, on 4-pin XLRs wired according to the USITT standard (pin1=COM, 2=CLK+, 3=ANA, 4=CLK-). The two obvious things to check if you can't control the dimmers are a) the control protocol is set to AMX in the setup menu, and b) the cable to the dimmers is good on all 4 pins, i.e. no opens or shorts. Also have a look at the soft-patch screen to make sure your dimmers are patched to channels and that the patch levels are set at full or 100%. When you're using the Impact to bring up lights, the best thing to do is use the keypad, e.g. [1] [@] [FULL] (don't think you need to hit ENTER).
Let me know how you make out!

Hi
Where are you located? We can help troubleshoot the CD-80 and provide parts if required. I may still have Impact Manuals in the shop.

Regards,
Sal Maratta
Century Lighting Service Inc.
201-791-7000
fax 201-791-3167
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back