Strand Lighting, LLC Files for Bankruptcy

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
... Effectively this bankruptcy is deferring risk from numerous asbestos-related personal injury lawsuits, ...
So Strand Lighting LLC is taking this drastic step because Century Lighting used asbestos in its fixtures until the mid-1970s? I'm not sure I buy it. I wonder if Altman and Mole-Richardson (others still in existence?) are scared also?

One, perhaps only, example:
Err....not quite. New York stagehand Barbara Bercu passed away about 10 years ago [~2005] of mesothelioma. Prior to her death, she sued a number of manufacturers and rental shops, alleging that her illness was due to asbestos exposure from fixtures and asbestos borders. The suit was settled after her death.

ST

Last edited:

JakeRhodesTech

Gear Nerd
So Strand Lighting LLC is taking this drastic step because Century Lighting used asbestos in its fixtures until the mid-1970s? I'm not sure I buy it. I wonder if Altman and Mole-Richardson (others still in existence?) are scared also?
Hey, Altman representative here. We are definitely not worried. While we are facing a few asbestos lawsuits, the worst thing they do is take time away from us selling and producing fixtures. It’s very hard to prove in court that our cables 50 years ago gave someone cancer considering walls, curtains, pipes, etc. were all made of asbestos as well back in the day. Not even taking into consideration of the numerous packs of cigarettes everyone smoked on the job in theatres as well. If it really was an issue, all the people who worked in our factory cutting and producing the cables would all have mesothelioma which is 0 cases.

We’re not going anywhere. :)

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
The Reve E3 is phenomenal. I had a demo of it last year and was really impressed. I highly recommend not making a purchase choice without comparing it.
I completely agree. I saw a shootout comparing the Reve 3 to multiple other products. It costs a bit more than the E910 but the REVE 3 is far ahead of the competition.

@techieman33 you need to demo a Reve 3.

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge @bharrell . Strand has been through a lot in the last 15 years or so. There has been a hurricane of craziness at the corporate level. In the middle of that storm everyone knows that Bobby Harrell is still working hard to make things better for customers. There are a lot of cheap jokes and criticism about Strand. But your hard work and commitment to customers can never be questioned. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread