strand lighting ???

tech_man

a qestiong on to all those of you that have strand lighting systems. is thare aney thigh i shood have a couple of spares of in my tool box. or little problems that you would not expect to have on a sami regular basis
like a 5$ part that controls the hole system and has to be specilorderd and will tacke a weak to get dekivered and we open in two day you know the sort of worst case sedareo. or gust the little problems with the system
aney impot would help

I have yet to see one of our 300 series consoles break (besides the lockups & crashes - At the high school we had too many people trying to learn everything by just pushing buttons and memory locked the board along with making it imposible to save shows) on the other hand i have one at the theater i work at. only people who have been trained how to use it are allowed. we have had it run straigt for more than 24 hrs and have never had a problem.

I know there are a few other strand people on here, im interested in their input as well

The Strand 300 is fairly sturday, the only thign i can think of that fits your description is wanting a bag of spare fader covers. I've never popped one off but I'm sure if you wanted to you could get them off. Ethernet cables to connect the CPU unit and board and the board panels are a necessity, but I can't imagine those being mysteriously disconnected from the console if its in one place.

The lights of course there are all sorts of odds and ends. The knobs in particular I've noticed seem to disappear. The little shoe that goes on the end of hte knob for moving the barrel in and out to focus has a habit of falling off the knob never to be seen again. If you muscle the knob which prevents the barrel form rotating, teh shoes on the yoke assembly that ride on the barrel will crack and shatter and your barrel will spin whenever its nudged. Good to have some of those around.

I can pretty much just confirm what has been said above. Spare fader covers, spare knobs, extra ethernet and power cables as well. Of course, if this isn't a touring show, then there will be a much lower chance of losing these things. If it's a one venue show, then once it's set up, you're good until the show has struck.

bdesmond said:
The Strand 300 is fairly sturday, the only thign i can think of that fits your description is wanting a bag of spare fader covers. I've never popped one off but I'm sure if you wanted to you could get them off. Ethernet cables to connect the CPU unit and board and the board panels are a necessity, but I can't imagine those being mysteriously disconnected from the console if its in one place.

The lights of course there are all sorts of odds and ends. The knobs in particular I've noticed seem to disappear. The little shoe that goes on the end of hte knob for moving the barrel in and out to focus has a habit of falling off the knob never to be seen again. If you muscle the knob which prevents the barrel form rotating, teh shoes on the yoke assembly that ride on the barrel will crack and shatter and your barrel will spin whenever its nudged. Good to have some of those around.

A little off topic but it might be a helpful hint for some of you. When I was a guitarist, I always use to find that the little plastic cover for the selector switch use to fall off on one of my guitars. The solution was a simple one. Take a pair of side cutters, and ‘notch’ the metal blade that the ‘knob’ fits onto.

What this does is splay the metal a small amount, thus making it slightly larger. I have use this method on faders as well. Might just save you from loosing them.

If the board uses a fuse, having a few of those around would help a lot.

Foxinabox10 said:

You've blown the fuses on your board??? How, may I ask, did you manage to do that? Or are you just suggesting it?

Not blown it, in moving stuff around sometimes it falls out and gets lost sometimes.

floppy disks to backup shows. i like to have a disk with all my settings saved so if i use a different 300 all i have to do is load my settigns instead of taking 20mins to set them. also have a backup copy of the lastest software.

well our strand 300 is 5 years old and it does have a usb port on the back. im not sure what its use its and i doubt with the dos underlaying it would recongize a thumb drive.

ours it about 2, same dos sub sys. I know there are dos drivers for usb and stuff. If I ever get some time I am going to try and load it up.

propmonkey said:
well our strand 300 is 5 years old and it does have a usb port on the back. im not sure what its use its and i doubt with the dos underlaying it would recongize a thumb drive.

If I had access to one of these and spare time (unfortunately neither at the moment), I could probably figure out how to make this work. If you're interested hterea re a few things you'll have to do:

1. Pop the lid on teh CPU and find the USB chipset on the motherboard. Copy down everything pertinent from it.

2. Research the chipset online and see if you can find DOS drivers for it. This may be difficult. As part of your research, you'll need to find out how to address the device.

3. Load the drivers, do any configuration to mount it.

4. Use subst command to make your usb key the a: drive if you want to do things with it that the Strand OS is hardcoded to goto A for.

why is there a usb port on there then?

zac850 said:
Foxinabox10 said:

You've blown the fuses on your board??? How, may I ask, did you manage to do that? Or are you just suggesting it?

we accidentally put one in and the board wasn't completly off. how long are fuses supposed to last?

Switzerland said:
zac850 said:
Foxinabox10 said:

we accidentally put one in and the board wasn't completly off. how long are fuses supposed to last?

Years upon years, unless there is a reason for them to blow.

There are problems on a 520 when you do not put the right bulbs in the desklights (brigther ones) this will blow the fuse apparently Im told.

sound_nerd said:
Switzerland said:
zac850 said:
Foxinabox10 said:

Years upon years, unless there is a reason for them to blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back