Control/Dimming Strand MX frozen A/B crossfaders

kdawg

Hi guys

Our Strand MX 48's A/B faders don't respond to movements when the board is on. If one restarts the board, the faders will change output according to the position of the faders when the board is on.

It's obviously not a physical fault with the faders (?). What can I do to resolve this problem - if anything?

Thanks

Kenneth

Check the sliders for fade time. If they are on the "infinity" symbol than they probably won't respond. Try sliding that up to another time, such as 0 seconds. If its not that, than I'm not sure what it is.

Check the sliders for fade time. If they are on the "infinity" symbol than they probably won't respond. Try sliding that up to another time, such as 0 seconds. If its not that, than I'm not sure what it is.

I've spent many hours playing with a Strand MX. Another item to check is the Channel/Scene mode button. The LED should be green for channel mode, which is what you need if you want to use it as a two-scene console .

In Scene mode (LED yellow), with the Hold button engaged, the A/B faders crossfade between the held scene and the "new" scene on the A channels.

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/memory/mx/mxmanual.pdf

Another thing that'll cause confusion is to have a recorded scene active via the C/D faders when you don't know it. To avoid that, make sure C and D are both at 0.

Let us know if you solve it or need more help.

Hi

The problem is definitely in channel mode - I'm always use scene mode but it's for people who can't.

The hold button seems to be disabled, I think this is what it must be. Do you know whether hold can be disabled in the settings? I can't see if there is an option...

Thanks very much

kdawg

Re: Strand MX frozen A/B cross faders

Hi

The problem is definitely in channel mode - I'm always use scene mode but it's for people who can't.

The hold button seems to be disabled, I think this is what it must be. Do you know whether hold can be disabled in the settings? I can't see if there is an option...

Thanks very much

kdawg

The hold button only works in scene mode. Hold can only be activated or deactivated when A=10 and B=0.

If the symptoms are that you cannot go in and out of hold mode, AND you cannot cross fade between A/B channels in channel mode, THEN I would suspect a problem with the pair of A/B faders. The LEDs between the two faders should give you some idea of whether both faders are working across their full range (try running the faders in opposite directions from 0 to 10 and watch the two LEDs). The console also has diagnostic tests to check for bad faders. Run the "control module" test in user diagnostics.

With a console as old as an MX, it is likely that the faders are dirty or worn out and not sending proper control signals to the computer. After all, the A/B faders are by far the heaviest used on the whole desk. Since parts for the MX are probably not available, I would try cleaning those two faders with Caig DeoxIT Fader F-Series.
DeoxIT® Fader F-Series

If that fails about the only option would be to have a qualified technician transplant a couple of the little used faders like the audio/midi and flash level to replace the A/B faders. Chances are they are the same component. You would sacrifice those functions but at least the console would work properly again.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thanks very much for your help.

It turns out it was a setting that controlled what the time faders did to A/B and C/D faders!

Cheers

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back