Strand Network & Nodes Set-up

jcslighting

I am working in a fairly new space ( less than 5 yrs old) and am having some issues getting the network expanded, here are the details. . .

The console is a Strand Palette running the palette O/S software into a network. The network has jacks at all of the lighting positions. The only node in use is on the 4th electric and it is set up to run the LED cyc lights. I am trying to add 2 additional nodes to run movers on the FOH position. We purchased 2 Pathway UNO nodes and all the required cables.

I downloaded the node control software from Pathway...Pathway Manager 3. I then hooked another pc into the network as I couldn't install the pathway software on the palette itself. I then tried to address the new nodes based on the existing nodes ip address just increasing the number by one. I then reconnected the palette and no DMX only network lights on the nodes. I then switched out a node with the cyc electric node and the fixtures on the FOH work fine with it.

Here are my questions....
1. Do I have to do anything in the console to make the new nodes work? I can't find anything that says so.
2. How do I get this thing to work?
3. Why does Strand stuff seem complicated? You can't find this information easily on the strand stuff or pathway.
4. What am I missing?
5. Can someone walk me through this process from start to finish?

I am familiar with DMX but I have limited experience with the network set-up idea. This is probably something simple like a checkmark missing in a box or a number wrong. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is the Strand console is configured for ShowNet, and the nodes are either not enabled for it, or at the incorrect IP address to receive it.

Ok, silly question, where in the console software do I find this info? This is where the strand manuals or the console help function seems to be sorely lacking.

BTW, thanks for the quick response. I did use PM 5.3 not 3 - my bad.

I won't be back in the space until next week but I will follow up with you then so....
- 1. where do I find the network set-up and info in the Palette os?
2. is it correct to disconnect the console from the network and plug in a pc with the PM 5.3 software in its place to configure the nodes? I was able to change the ip addresses this way according to
the PM software but still no DMX from the nodes.

In PaletteOS, if you go to "Patch", there is a "Patch Routing" softkey. All of your data routes will be displayed.
You'll need to do this to see what network data the Palette is sending.
Your configuration method of the Pathport Nodes is good.
You'll need to know the IP address of the console if Shownet is used.
Most likely it is 192.168.0.X, so your nodes will also need to be in the 192.168.0.X range as well.

Last edited:
I forgot to post this but better late than never I guess...

Thanks for the responses - the issue was that the shownet box in node properties wasn't checked. I fixed that, uploaded the changes to the nodes and all is good now.

I figured it was something simple and it was.

Thanks again controlbooth members!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back