Strand Offline Editor?

Bigmike

Hi, I'm new to this board, and was wondering if any of you knew where I can find the Strand Offline Editor. My show goes into tech next week, and it would be great if I could have the offline editor on my laptop during that time.

Why is Strands stuff so hard to find? On the ETC website, its all straight foreward. Not that I am partial to any company or anything..... :)

I think that as long as you are not running a winXP, mac, or *nix machine (IE anything with DOS still part of it), you can just install teh console software on your machine and it will act as standalone software.

Please dont take my word for this though. I am not positive if this works... just what i have heard. In all honesty, if you are a strand customer, i would just give a call to one of their reps and see what they suggest.

Strand's offline editor can be found at their website: www.strandlight.com When you get there, you go under support\software, once there, you download the operating system for your console. When you instal it to your pc, it will ask you if it is for an offline editor. The offline editor is quite good once you get it working. It requires a DOS environment to run. I can get it to run in a DOS window, but to use the moving light functions, you must reboot to DOS. It also has the complete manual which can be viewed with the offline editor. This will require you to download the console help file to work. These files are not hard to find, just remember that they embed the offline editor with the console software.

Hey! I was right! :p Thanks for confirming what I thought i had heard once. But once again, no dice on XP since Gates thought it was finally time to put DOS to bed once and for all.

Good luck!

I tried to get the strand offline emulator to work on my XP Pro machine to no avail.
I ended up speaking to one of the techs at strand, thinking my computer was dodged and he said you cant run it on xp machine at this stage, but they are currently working on a version that doesnt require DOS.

dj_illusions said:
Good luck!

I tried to get the strand offline emulator to work on my XP Pro machine to no avail.
I ended up speaking to one of the techs at strand, thinking my computer was dodged and he said you cant run it on xp machine at this stage, but they are currently working on a version that doesnt require DOS.

Yeah, I've had no luck thus far :(

while we're talking about strands...

I have only used the 500 series console as a desk for static fixtures... but now I want to do some movers with it.
I was taught how to patch moving lights to it ages ago but have completely forgotten!!

does anyone know how to do this, trying to follow the manual is like double dutch lol

Here is an Email I just got from Strand:

"Sorry but it is not possible to run the console offline editor under XP or any other NT class OS.

What you can do is obtain a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft. They keep moving it about so best I do not give a direct link. Simply search for "VirtualPC" from http://www.microsoft.com

A free trial (time limited) is available. The product costs approx £60.00

VirtualPC does just as it says -creating a window in which runs a conventional PC. To start with it is empty -you will need to load DOS 6.22 on it and then the Strand OLE. The amount of hard disk & RAM in the PC is as set within the properties of the window. Obviously they must exist for real on the host. 20Mb disk & 32Mb RAM will be adequate for the OLE.

Ensure that himem.sys is loaded (device = c:\dos\himem.sys in config.sys)
Put the following environment variable into autoexec.bat (this is case sensitive)
set OS = Windows_NT

The latter stops the OLE looking for the printer port, which is a pig to emulate correctly with VirtualPC. Normally if the OLE does not see the printer port it will hang-up in the start up screen

Regards
John Wright
Strand Lighting Service Manager
Tel +44(0)20 8735 9790
Fax +44(0)20 8735 9799
GSM +44(0)7867 536536"

Id do that.... but im all confuesed now can anyone put it into english for me?

Does it wipe your pc?

Virtual PC lets you create computers within your own computer that act exactly like real ones just without extra hardware. They run a little slower because of the emulated hardware but otherwise do very little to the "host" computer.

can someone maybe write out simple instructions step by step of how to do it... pretty please :) lol

Hi M8
Strand have now introduced a new program called X connect which will run on an XP machine you have to pay for it and it comes on a USB pen drive I have one and I wondered how I lived without it. Its not that expensive.
Baz
:roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back