Strand Vision Net Work light issues

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I Have a Strand Vision Net system for my house lights, worklights, and non-dims. In the catwalks I have a set of white fluorescent lights for working and a set of low blue lights for running shows. Something very strange just happened. The blue lights have been replaced by the white works in vision net. So when you tap the virtual button for white works or blue works, the white ones always turn on. There's no way to turn on the blue ones. Any idea what is going on? I have no idea where to even begin troubleshooting this.

I would start with the usual. Cycle power to the rack that controls the work lights. See if the blue circuit can be brought up with the console or at the rack. I assume you do not have the Vision.net configuration on a computer?

This is a virtual button on a touch screen? I created the same problem when I was a freshman in college.
Did anyone recently try switching from white to blue by pressing and holding their finger on the "button"? Holding it for I think 3 or 5 seconds will re record the preset the button brings up.

Another try would be to setup the look you want the blue lights button to do and press/hold the button for an extended period to re record the preset, maybe.

in the VN program you can have "virtual stations"
they are used for programing.
if you un/click the virtual tab you then blast the station program into an actual station.

Sorry, I'm back. Been busy with shows.

I turned off EVERYTHING in the whole theater from my console, to the DMX network switch, the two vision.net touch screens, I even powered off the relay panels. Booted it all back up and no luck. So yeah it appears something has been reprogrammed somehow.

I have an AFL-07A touch screen on my stage manager's panel. On the back it has a "Touchscreen Interface Upgrade" card attached... below is a picture of that card. As you can see in the picture, it says it's running Windows CE 5.0 and has a manufacture date on the back of May 2009. It was installed sometime in 2010, so I'm guessing this is running Vision.Net 2.0 or maybe 3.0... definitely not 4.
IMG_20180121_195403.jpg

How does the Vision.net usually interface with my relay racks and dimmer racks? It obviously connects to both. How does that work. Are the relays likely just DMX devices reacting to a command in the DMX stream... and therefore if I can figure out the address I can turn on the catwalk blue running lights from the console and reprogram the button by holding it down?

In theory yes. Unless they are on their own system. And the board only controls your dimmers and not your relays. But the strand has access to your dimmers and relays.

I would think if they are programmed into your console you would of already found them and just ghetto patches them til you got a strand tech out there.

You need to jack in with a laptop and the software and see what’s going on.

I would agree that it may be likely that someone has done a "press and hold" to reprogram a VN preset. I would call tech support and speak with Matthew Peters. +1 214 647 7961. If this system was commissioned by a Strand technician, he may have configuration info to help here.

what are the dimmers? Are they C 21
what is the relay rack? Is it a Strand Contact Rack?

if yes to both then, the system is most likley Visino NET directly to the dimmer rack and contact rack.
if not then you would have a Vision Net to DMX interface card, and or the dimmers or relays would be triggered from DMX

do you have a copy of your vison net file from when the system was set up?
do you have Vision Net (program)?

as asked previously, is the button you are refering to on the touch screen?

pressing and holding any button that does not have Learn Dissabled will record the new Look
so if DMX was running at the time, you would snap shop the out put of the console.

Answering my own question in case anyone else needs it (and thanks to a quick response from Matt at Strand):
Put a folder called Update on a USB stick, insert the stick and reboot the touch screen. When it boots exit to the operating system, and copy the config file from the Shasta folder in My Device. That can then be imported to Designer.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was home with a sick kid yesterday, didn't have time today, and now I'm off to NAMM. But I will take this up again next week by calling Matthew at Strand. Thanks Bobby! @bharrell I'll report back what I learn and how I solve these issues next week.

Two questions,
How do I know what version of Vision.net I need/have.
I don't currently have the software, where can I find it. It looks like I have to contact Strand/phillips to get it?

Feel free to contact me directly.

You used to be able to download the Vision.net configuration software from the Strand site after registration. I see now the registration page is blank so it looks like you will have to contact them directly. I believe the current software will work with older hardware but you can ask while you are acquiring the software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back