Strange vintage lights

I agree, ship. In the particular case of this little fresnel the lens was harvested to make use in another fresnel that had a cracked lens. The socket and sled on it were all damaged and in my mind it was at least salvageable as a decorative piece.

As a high school, sometimes we take what we can get, but are lucky enough to have a decent source of income in public bookings. Even still, most of our inventory in the air is over 25 years old now. I've got a set of Kleigl fresnels that were donated some time ago that still work fine, but need yokes. That might be a good project while we're dark. But just wanted to share that my first inclination is typically, "how can we use what we've got?" before we start throwing stuff away.

Bent a mighty lot of replacement yokes over the years - even some with curved angles by hand. Bent one on the pneumatic press at work last week... so easy, but also so easy to over press. Easy enough to fix with a good vise, but scratches to grind away..
All good in if you don't have budget as I no longer also have.. something. 25 years old isn't old especially for a Fresnel - a Fresnel is a Fresnel. Hope yoke bending goes well. Squaring up - remember the tri-square for ensure of square in the vise & pre-mark and drill your holes. Hope to hear tales of your Kliegl Fresnels. Not a fan of Kliegl Fresnels lighting wise especially in the RSC type... but more lights, or once done might be worth another if even modern fixture or two once resold. Hope all well with you and your family, and adenture on stuff working on.

I've got a set of Kleigl fresnels that were donated some time ago that still work fine, but need yokes.
You can make yokes out of 3/32"x1" strap iron--just cut a piece, bend it up & drill the necessary holes. And as for cracked lenses, chicken wire is the answer. Put the pieces together, wrap chicken wire over the convex side and fold over the edges, then put a tie wire through the chicken wire on the flat side, pull tight & twist the ends. Doesn't affect the beam at all. "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

Little small on steel for a yoke I would use, but very curious in flushing out further your replacement lens concept. I know I have superglued a very rare lens before - one that is museum only, but interesting your concept in making use.

Also, in 5 of 6 Fresnels's the main damage recently seen, was done by someone installing EGE lamps in them. I have started P-Touching proper specified lamp types for the fixture on the yoke for donation fixtures. Fresnel lenses not broken, but so much heat damage to the top of the fixture. One would wonder about the designers of the day in dealing with the lights on 1st electric so not Fresnel. This much less the ballet designer "working in the space" with the lights before I removed them.... The art he had to make with 5 of 6 Fresnels out of focus, the Leko's about the same condition... All 4.5Q6.5's from front of house had craced lenses as did a few 6x9 from the 1st electric. "Trying the best you could"... I suspect in the last show done at the theater. Glad I was there with the touring company crew. Brought me back decades in working with those from a touring company - so inspired and wornderful their intent to make art where ever they are. (A few months ago this show.) Didn't see the show, but hope they made Art, with what the had. Wonderful fun to just tie up a drape with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back