Streamdeck size?

James Ard

Piecing together my upgraded post-vaccine in-person dream freelance Sound Designer in-rehearsal / tech-table kit.

Previously I've given Stage Managers a "Behringer CMD" midi unit as a cheap "Go Button" alternative. But I had to set them up with iOS device to monitor which cue they'r on.

Though now I'm seeing that the "Companion" app for the Elagato Streamdeck can recieve feedback from Qlab to display cue numbers and cue names. Seems like a no-brainer for rehearsal room scenarios. Turns a two-device task into a one-device task.

Now I'm trying to figure out which size streamdeck I get?

The tiny 6 button one is tempting, for travel. Technically has exactly the right amount of space. But I can imagine the operator "pushing it back" because it doesn't look sturdy at all.

The medium 15 button one looks sturdier, and has a bit of extra space for oddball “godmic” “pause” “resume” and the occasional hotkey.

Though I would hate to put money down on the 15 button one, if there’s a secret theatre-specific reason why the 32 button one is actually the one I need.

Leaning towards the 15 button, unless anyone here has had an experience of “I got one, then needed to swap it out” for a reason I don’t have the foresight for.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Piecing together my upgraded post-vaccine in-person dream freelance Sound Designer in-rehearsal / tech-table kit.

Previously I've given Stage Managers a "Behringer CMD" midi unit as a cheap "Go Button" alternative. But I had to set them up with iOS device to monitor which cue they'r on.

Though now I'm seeing that the "Companion" app for the Elagato Streamdeck can recieve feedback from Qlab to display cue numbers and cue names. Seems like a no-brainer for rehearsal room scenarios. Turns a two-device task into a one-device task.

The tiny 6 button one is tempting, for travel. Technically has exactly the right amount of space. But I can imagine the operator "pushing it back" because it doesn't look sturdy at all.

The medium 15 button one looks sturdier, and has a bit of extra space for oddball “godmic” “pause” “resume” and the occasional hotkey.

Though I would hate to put money down on the 15 button one, if there’s a secret theatre-specific reason why the 32 button one is actually the one I need.

Leaning towards the 15 button, unless anyone here has had an experience of “I got one, then needed to swap it out” for a reason I don’t have the foresight for.

Calling @TimMc and @Ben Stiegler Have you an answer for our new OP?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The original was the 15 button one, the XL and the mini hadn't come out when I got mine and I wouldn't go back and change anything. The mini is too small, and I don't have anything where I'd need as many buttons as the XL version (especially when I can just do a second layer of buttons if I need something else)

The streamdeck is still one of the best purchases I've made. I've got a main page that has sub pages for each of my most used apps/control surfaces. Its incredibly customizable and you can use scripts to trigger macros and other commands. I don't have a shot of my qlab set up but for 14 (because of the back arrow) seems like the right number of buttons for everything I need.

My only complaint is the hardwired usb cable I have no doubt that thats the point that will eventually wear out just from travel wear and tear, but I've had mine for almost 3? years and so far no issues and its holding up real well.
54.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back