striking intels

legacy

Curious: Just wondering how everyone strikes intels....I use Lightjockey and strike the fixtures at the PC. I have a project were an ETC expression will be used and not sure how I would like to strike them.... 1, when powerd up 2, when a DMX signal is detected, 3 struck at the console using a fader that can not be messed with to prevent off command,,,, I have not used a console only PC based so am unsure how this is affected

Depends what I'm doing. If its a theatre show that I will leave the rig hooked up all night and day, I will have them do a remote strike. If its a one off type thing, and they will only get power for a few hours before and a few after, I will have them strike when they get power. Its usually better to do the console thing so that way when you go to lunch or what not, they can be shut off. On DMX can be dangerous because you don't want them struck when the carps come in and do notes and turn on the console for work lights. I usually program a marcro to strike them and to shut them down.

Make it a Macro! That's how we do power-ups and power-downs of intels, everything from intellabeams to VL3000's. Write a macro on the console that tells it to power up, and one that tells it to power down. Write them above ten, so you have to hit [M*] (macro number) [ENTER] to execute the power-up/power-down macros.

I second Footer. When I use MLs I write a lamp strike macro that turns the control channel for the fixture to the correct level for strike, waits the specified time at said level for the lamp to strike and then moves on to the next fixture. I always write the macro to do one fixture at a time so that I don't end up with a huge inrush draw on the power feeds. I also write a destrike macro that destrikes all the fixtures at once. I wouldn't put the control channel on a fader because inevitable it will get messed with, and besides, on some fixtures the same channel controls other things besides the lamp that you may want to access.

Make sure when you write your macro you write in timeings so you dont strike more then 5 or 10 fixtures at once.

I watched a guy blow 3 600 amp company switches cause he struck 36 movers at once.

It was not fun.
JH

thanks guys. That makes so much sense. One more question. I will be running house and statics with one universe and intels on the other. Will I be using channel 1 for 1 and 513 ???? port 1 as 1 port 2 as 513 ??

thanks guys. That makes so much sense. One more question. I will be running house and statics with one universe and intels on the other. Will I be using channel 1 for 1 and 513 ???? port 1 as 1 port 2 as 513 ??

Rephrase that.... its a bit confusing... Before we jump into the patching game, what console are you using?

Basicaly the board will think you are using
Universe A = 1-512
Universe B = 513 - 1026
but when you adress you fixtures you stil adress them 1-512 the board will just talk to them differntly.
JH

It really depends on what console you are using. Both strand and ETC use the universe system... (strand can be disabled) You select the port, then the DMX slot. so... 2.1 would be 513, 3.1 would be 1025...

So lets simplify things for him a little. The default settings for an Expression console are: Universe 1= 1-512 (this is DMX out 1 on the back of the console) and Universe 2=513-1024 (DMX out 2). This can be changed in the system settings somewhere, but there is probably no need to do that.

As for patching, each universe behaves as if it were it's own entity. Since a universe can only support 512 "devices" consoles were designed to have multiple universes. So on universe 2 for example the DMX data stream is talking to devices 1-512, the console itself is what says Device 1 on Universe 2 is actually device 513 (or whatever you set as the starting address for Universe 2. Thus, when you connect your MLs to Universe 2 the starting address for the first unit would be 1 and the console interprets that to be 513. So when you softpatch on the console that first ML will be "dimmer" 513 (Universe 2 Device 1).

Hopefully that little look into DMX helps clarify what was said.

Last edited:
I am using an express 48/96. I have 30 channels of house lights, 30 channels of statics (source 4's) and will be using 6 Robe 240AT Colormix's and 2 Robe 250AT spots. The colormix's are 8 channels and the 250
s are 15 channels will be 60 channels port 1 and 78 channels port 2... so when I go to set cues what am I dealing with .. sorry for the silly questions but new to the console world..... stuck in the PC world on lighting..... thanks in advance , Its a joy to have this fourm... lee

The basic programming theory behind your console is the same as your computer software. On the Express series you can patch each ML as a fixture as long as you have the profiles for them. You should be able to download the fixture profiles either from the manufacturer of the fixture or from ETC. I haven't programmed on the Express for a while so I can't tell you the exact keystrokes to patch the fixtures.

ONce you are patched, you can call a fixture or group of fixtures with the [FIXTURE] button. If I remember correctly you can use the trackpad to control motion. I would recommend downloading a copy of the Express manual from ETC's website if you don't already have a copy. It will answer your questions.

So I'm concerned about this thread sorta. How do you strike intels? At my school, we've always just put them in non-dims and flipped the power on/off..should I be concerned about overload during striking? The highest power I'm pulling (according to the power specs on the respective ML's websites) is going to be 41.5A on a 60A circuit. (I'll be using a Hog 2)

You should NEVER plug anything with a ballast or or any kind of brain unit into non dims.

You are damging the equipment. You should use hot power from a distro or if you have enough circuits from wall power.

Dimmers even non dims are not ment to power moving lights or other fixtures like florecents. Do not use them as such. Im sure there are people on here who are master electrcians who can explain why. I just can tell you not to do it. Any one who tells you its ok is lying to you, it might not damage your gear right away but it is constantly destroying it.

JH

Actually, it really depends on what your non-dim is. If you are using a regular dimmer that you have profiled as a non-dim (either on your console or at the dimmer) this does not bypass the SCR. In SCR dimmers, even when their output is at full they still are flipping on and off for the tiniest instant twice every cycle. This is bad for lots of equipment like fixtures with ballasts, fan motors, and many other things.

If you have an ETC Sensor Rack (and I would imagine Strand has something similar) you can buy two different types of "non-dim" modules, the CC-20 (constant circuit) and the R-20 (relay module). The CC-20 is literally a a hard connection through a fuse and circuit breaker that feeds pure line power out to the circuit. These modules are always on unless you flip off the breaker and you can't control them from the console. With the R-20 modules it is essentially the same circuitry as the CC-20 except that you can turn the circuit on and off from the console, hence the name "relay module." Using either a CC-20 or R-20 module as a non dim for MLs is acceptable.

If your non dim is just a plain old switched or breakered outlet that should be fine as well, you just don't want your MLs plugged into a dimmer.

DarSax said:
So I'm concerned about this thread sorta. How do you strike intels? At my school, we've always just put them in non-dims and flipped the power on/off..should I be concerned about overload during striking? The highest power I'm pulling (according to the power specs on the respective ML's websites) is going to be 41.5A on a 60A circuit. (I'll be using a Hog 2)

As for striking your fixtures, most fixtures support a couple different striking modes (and if you read back in this thread some are mentioned). You can generally set your MLs to:
1- Strike on power up
2- Remote Strike (controlled via the console)
3- Manual Strike (requiring you to be at the fixture)
My personal preference is to use remote strike whenever possible. This allows you to turn the fixtures on but not have the lamps struck, and then destrike the lamps but leave the fixtures on so the fans run and they cool down. If you look in the manual for the fixtures you are using they will tell you what levels you need to set what control channel to in order to strike/destrike the lamps.

As for strike/destrike procedures, just read this thread, it was what we have been talking about.

Ah i work mostly with strand dimmers i did know about the breaker packs for the etc racks. Strand as of when i called them did not have or expect to have them in the near future.

Affter speaking to a rep at strand i have determined its not a good idea to plug movers or anything with a brain into breaker packs anyway. He said it would still have a chance to damage the equipment due to a controll voltage that will always be present.

JH

That is interesting to note, I wonder if that is unique to Strand? Because my local ETC guys think that their CC and R modules are fine for MLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back