The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Striplights as Audience Blinders

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by deadlygopher, Feb 3, 2008.

1. deadlygopher

deadlygopher Member

Automation/Software Developer
    Has anyone every tried using striplights as audience blinders? I'm concerned that I don't have enough PAR cans to do everything I want to and still be able to do blinders. Suggestions...?

2. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    What kind of strip lights do you have? Three of Four circuit strips? What's the wattage of the lamps? How many open circuits? In short, this can be done, but give us some details.

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Virtually anything the emits light can be used as audience blinders. My personal favorite is 8-Light Molefays, with 4 ckts. each, so I can chase them.

If you've got the striplights, go for it. Consider reverse the ones on stage left so you have a symmetrical chase.

But why do you/want need audience blinders?

4. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

my favorite are our big 6k moles. One 1k lamp per circuit. You just plug a soco cable directly into the back. They are slick and BRIGHT!!!

5. TechiGoz

TechiGoz Active Member

Well if you have 1K moles at your disposal, you may as well use them! I have used them before aswell, and they do the trick for blinding the audience! If you dont want to use them, QI floods (1K or 1.5K) work well also. But anything is good, you're 'blinding' them after all, aren't you? :p

Daniel

6. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

What type of amp are in the strip lights, if they take MR 16 lamps or PAR 16s I think you will be happier than you would have been by using par cans. The smaller filament should respond quicker making it possible to do really effective quick bumps.

This was posted on the light network a few days ago, not being used as blinders but still providing a nice effect. http://www.guyrhodes.com/photo/chester0603/pages/chester_moody.html

7. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Actually, yes. I had substituted BEP photo-flood lamps which are R30, 300 watts and have a 4 hour life. The effect was nice and due to the low duty cycle, the 4 hour life was not a problem. Don't know if they are still made.

8. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

I see MR16 zip strips used all the time as blinders, sometimes vertical behind the band too which makes a really cool effect.

9. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Now THAT's a pretty picture. M2K gobos and all.

As to MR-16 strips, RUSH had a bunch custom wired with all 10 lamps on one circuit wired next to each other, as well as CK ColorBlaze72 outlining each truss. I've not yet used the LED 8-lights, but have used the ProCan 20Light.

10. deadlygopher

deadlygopher Member

Automation/Software Developer
    I'm actually not sure about the configuration of the striplights. They're sitting in our graveyard because we never use them. I'll take a look at them when I go in tomorrow.

11. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

I was supposed to do a show with Korn. I was specing some 12K fresnels as punch lights :D. They were going to be sweet.