Stripping Cable

The education continues.

Love that story about the card, I know a woman who would find that absolutely hilarious.

Actually, you could spell it "Diags", using a hard "G" it sort of sounds like a "K". I did have an employee go off at me one day years ago when I used the nickname Diags, when referring to a pair of cable cutters, I just sort of looked at her and said, " You're not actively serious are you?" Seemed to only make her madder. 'Course there was also the anniversary card I sent to a couple of friends of mine. It just had a pair of cutters on the front page, with sparkly blades, on the inside it said, " Happy Anniversary. To the sharpest pair of Dyke's I know." They got a real kick out of it. :mrgreen:

Now Van you are complicating things. The truth is most of the lesbians I have known in tech theater are great sports, understand the history of the tool, and find it rather amusing to call them "dykes"... case in point one lesbian friend who always made it a point to loudly announce to the whole shop anytime someone was using them. But you can't bank on that... in my experience you are actually more likely to outrage someone who isn't gay by using the term.

Theater has a much higher percentage of homosexuals than the rest of the world (DUH). It also tends to be a much safer and welcoming environment than the rest the rest of the world too. As such, just about every homosexual I've worked with in theater is out and open about it. I have several gay friends who I know would get a really good laugh over the way I have agonized to make sure I put quotes around the word "dykes" every time I've used it in these posts. But in the end, it's just not worth the firestorm that will follow if someone is offended so it's better to be safe and not use the word at all.

As for someone being offended by saying "Diags"... give me a break... that's someone who is looking for a way to be offended.

Okay, Gafftaper, we get your point. Don't carry your dykes in your faggy messenger bag, next to the MacBookPro. Got it.:twisted:

But if you do, make sure you keep a pair of strippers in there too!

Okay, Gafftaper, we get your point. Don't carry your dykes in your faggy messenger bag, next to the MacBookPro. Got it.:twisted:

Oh yeah and what Derek just said is ALWAYS appropriate.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Excellent PC response in a way I had never considered, thanks gafftaper. That’s Diagional Side Cutting Pliers to you still... And I am not old... dag namit! Just kind of set in my ways at times.

Besides, some lesbians are amongst the closest of my friends. I really never did consider the two terms anything within the same concept of language. Wow, gonna think twice in the future by way of pointing it out. Still call the tool what it is but will slip in a disclaimer in where such a term comes from as short hand for what I call it. Still young enough to have stuff pointed out to me and to learn from it. Thanks.

I wrote a long post last night and fell asleep while writing it then woke up and closed the browser without hitting send.
Short version. It is a long time electricians tradition to call them "dykes", which was short for "Diagonal Cutters". However, I would strongly advise you younger folks to train yourself to call them "Diagonal Cutters", "Diagonal Pliers", or "Diagonal Cutting Pliers"... I think all three are acceptable names for the tool. You'll find most manufacturers do not call them "dykes" anymore.
This industry is about who you know and who you impress. You don't want to make the mistake of offending the wrong person by calling them "dykes". Old established guys like Ship can get away with calling them what they want. He has a reputation, it is the correct term in the electrican's world, no one is going to question his motives for using the term. But, as a young tech starting out, it's a lot safer for your career to use the technical term and not the slang.
For me working in the educational world, it would be career roulette to call them "dykes". It's not worth the risk of offending someone who doesn't know that it is correct industry jargon and not just a slang word you made up because you hate lesbians. It's just not worth it.

Does anyone know the "politically correct" or "clean" version of the mnemonic resistor color code, you know, BBROYGBVGW?

I only know the "naughty" version and often said it wrong by using the color as the first word, until someone suggested I may find myself with a screwdriver in my back if I said it that way in the wrong company. Point taken!

Does anyone know the "politically correct" or "clean" version of the mnemonic resistor color code, you know, BBROYGBVGW?
I only know the "naughty" version and often said it wrong by using the color as the first word, until someone suggested I may find myself with a screwdriver in my back if I said it that way in the wrong company. Point taken!

A quick search returned the "explicit" version, along with this tamer version:

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

should hear how the other other ME where I work describes the what is it Male version of an Edison plug in what color wire you should see when looking at the cable so as to match up with the plug. Something about good... xxxx ... boys... but something I never remember or use.

Still very valid observation overall to present.

A soundperson taught me George Washington's Bridge. Wouldn't that work, ship? Thanks for the search, Charc, but I'm sure there must be one that doesn't involve the consumption of alcohol, seeing as how you're a minor and forbidden from knowing about such things.

I had to search for one too for class use since I couldn't show either "bad boys..." or "Batman..." in class and wanted to avoid the booze/beer too. There are quite a few options on wikipedia under "resistor color code".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back