Strong Canto 1200 PSU Troubleshooting

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
The power supply for one of our Strong Canto 1200 M's is acting up. Sometimes it'll turn on, sometimes it won't. When it does come on it'll only make it through part of the night before shutting off.

We don't use our followspots particularly often -- probably only a couple hundred hours on these lamps and they are the first lamps we've had in them since the followspots were brand new when we purchased them ~18 months ago.

Anyone got any ideas or should I be giving Strong or a repair shop a call?

As long as you are sure that solid power is being delivered to the location of the spot, then it sounds like a ballast problem (possibly a false trip of a protection circuit) so it looks like a call is due to Strong.

Lamp does sound way too young to be a problem.

Problems striking -or- sustaining arc can be lamp related, but to have both problems on the same lamp just doesn't add up.

As long as you are sure that solid power is being delivered to the location of the spot, then it sounds like a ballast problem (possibly a false trip of a protection circuit) so it looks like a call is due to Strong.

Lamp does sound way too young to be a problem.

Problems striking -or- sustaining arc can be lamp related, but to have both problems on the same lamp just doesn't add up.

One of the other oddities is that when the power supply shuts off, it kills power to the built-in fan in followspot. The lamp isn't supposed to need to be struck just to have the power supply and fan running.

That is odd! You sure this isn't something like a bad plug or receptacle? Or for that matter, a bad power switch? Usually, there is not much wiring between the power switch and the fan. Even if the lamp overheat kicks in, the fan would remain running. Sometimes we get so used to problems being complicated that the easy stuff gets by us. Time for some wiggle tests on connectors and such.

The power supply for one of our Strong Canto 1200 M's is acting up. Sometimes it'll turn on, sometimes it won't. When it does come on it'll only make it through part of the night before shutting off.

We don't use our followspots particularly often -- probably only a couple hundred hours on these lamps and they are the first lamps we've had in them since the followspots were brand new when we purchased them ~18 months ago.

Anyone got any ideas or should I be giving Strong or a repair shop a call?

Please give Dale McMillin at Strong a call at 402-453-4444 or email him at [email protected]. You have been given some good troubleshooting advise but we will be happy to help!

Thank you for very much StrongEntLighting, for responding and providing contact info. Also -- welcome to CB!

Turns out the problem was the connector. The crack install tech that the vendor had provide the gear tightened down the strain relief on the individual wires and not on the outer jacket. The result was the insulation of all three wires was pierced. That, in combination with a loose neutral wire that was not seated well resulted in what I can only imagine looked like a lightning storm within the connector.

I couldn't tell you exactly which wire shorted onto which other wire first, but the result was the screw and conductive plates for the neutral wire became encased in a molten plastic (I can see bubbles that formed in the plastic while it was molten).

We had been having problems the last 18 months with this followspot tripping a circuit breaker, which was thought at first to be the result of people plugging into two followspots into the same 20A circuit. I confirmed with the electrician though that we only had problems with one of the followspots tossing the breaker -- must've been this one. To say the least, our electrician was less than thrilled and told me that this is why he hates when people attempt wiring up connectors themselves.

I'm willing to bet that I know exactly which of the install techs wired this connector -- likely the same one who provided us [Male L5-20] to [Male 2P&G] adapters on accident and didn't realize until after he plugged them in and walked away.

I did end up having to open the power supply up anyway; one of the bolts securing the ballast to the chassis had rattled loose. With the nut long gone, I removed the rogue bolt and closed up the case. Everything else inside the supply seemed fine, the ballast seemed secure without that bolt in place as the rest of the bolts were holding tight, and the fuse passed the continuity test.

Time to take it back to the theatre and see how well it survives this next weekend of shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back