Strong Electric Corp. Slide Projectors Model 44050-1 and 44050-2

Still have no definitive info on the projectors. I do now know Strong did offer them as part of there catalog but it seems not all that many made it in to the market. So that is why they are not seen much and few old timers know about them ( I am a old timer so I can say that) . They are in the warehouse and I am dissembling one of them. For the age it is in vary good condition over all. The things is about 150 pounds or more and is 5'+ long so to move it around you would need 2 people . Just an update
My guess is that because the slide projectors were made mostly from Strong's movie lamp house/follow spot parts stock, Strong built the special parts to order. I'd not be surprised if there were a model or 2 in the catalog that were never built. In all of the old movie houses I've worked in or visited, I don't recall seeing a slide projector still in an operating position in the booth - typically there was a 3rd projector for the trailer reel when the feature was an anamorphic print (no lens swap). I do recall one old projectionist who told me "there used to be a slide projector there" when he pointed to the #3 machine.

That's what I can recall, hope it helps.

I'm not familiar with the projector, but I'm quite familiar with the Trouper AC arc lamp house and power supply transformer. Perhaps if you become familiar with the Trouper operation, you can use that knowledge to dig into the projectors.
I also got the Trouper at the same time the AC arc is the same setup in both. So is the power supply just in a different box attached to the bottom of the projector.

My guess is that because the slide projectors were made mostly from Strong's movie lamp house/follow spot parts stock, Strong built the special parts to order. I'd not be surprised if there were a model or 2 in the catalog that were never built. In all of the old movie houses I've worked in or visited, I don't recall seeing a slide projector still in an operating position in the booth - typically there was a 3rd projector for the trailer reel when the feature was an anamorphic print (no lens swap). I do recall one old projectionist who told me "there used to be a slide projector there" when he pointed to the #3 machine.

That's what I can recall, hope it helps.
I would say over 1/2 if not more the parts on the unit are stock AC arc Trouper parts

I also got the Trouper at the same time the AC arc is the same setup in both. So is the power supply just in a different box attached to the bottom of the projector.
Ok, this is how it works. First FORGET what you know about DC carbon arc operation. The arc is fed by a constant speed clock motor. The arc gap or burn rate is adjusted by the tap switch on the transformer. This voltage at the arc should be 21 volts AC. Measure this voltage by partially pulling out the single pin plugs to the lamp house and connecting your meter at these points. Adjust the transformer for 21 volts. Clean up the "arc scope" pinhole, mirror and screen. Monitor the arc operation for stability. Adjust the scope so the arc falls between the marks on the screen. Once the arc is stable, calibrate the meter. Unscrew the meter and pull it out while everything is operating. There is a little removable cover on the back of the meter. Pry it off. Take a small screwdriver and rotate the adjustment to line up the pointer in the green area. The power supply is now calibrated. A very important thing to check is the concentric knurl nut and striking crank. They should operate freely and independent of each other. They should not bind! When transporting these units, the cranks easily got bumped and shafts got bent where the inner shaft bound on the outer one. The inner Shaft can be CAREFULLY bent back to correct this. Those are the specifics. Have fun!

man, those bring back some memories! my 1400 seat high school auditorium was equipped with those SuperTroopers - close to a 200' throw, late 60s/early 70s. Its incredible they let us students run something with that much amperage!

@Ben Stiegler Supers: DC arcs, longer and shorter carbons of different compositions / diameters; one with a harder center / surrounded by softer material, the other with a softer center / surrounded by a harder composition. To minimize one burning to a long, thin point while the other became a deep crater / tunnel shrouding the arc and reducing light striking / reflecting from the mirror.
OR the Trouper AC arcs, with two identical carbons, as used in the slide projectors shown up thread?

A 200' throw in the late 60's early 70's placed you firmly in DC Carbon Arc Super Trouper territory.
The Xenon Supers that followed were neither as comfortable, nor as much fun to hug for hours on end; too many sharp corners to kink your wrist.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I would say over 1/2 if not more the parts on the unit are stock AC arc Trouper parts
I have not been abel to light eather unit up but from the lens the throw has to be vary big
Ok, this is how it works. First FORGET what you know about DC carbon arc operation. The arc is fed by a constant speed clock motor. The arc gap or burn rate is adjusted by the tap switch on the transformer. This voltage at the arc should be 21 volts AC. Measure this voltage by partially pulling out the single pin plugs to the lamp house and connecting your meter at these points. Adjust the transformer for 21 volts. Clean up the "arc scope" pinhole, mirror and screen. Monitor the arc operation for stability. Adjust the scope so the arc falls between the marks on the screen. Once the arc is stable, calibrate the meter. Unscrew the meter and pull it out while everything is operating. There is a little removable cover on the back of the meter. Pry it off. Take a small screwdriver and rotate the adjustment to line up the pointer in the green area. The power supply is now calibrated. A very important thing to check is the concentric knurl nut and striking crank. They should operate freely and independent of each other. They should not bind! When transporting these units, the cranks easily got bumped and shafts got bent where the inner shaft bound on the outer one. The inner Shaft can be CAREFULLY bent back to correct this. Those are the specifics. Have fun!
I will carefully fellow all the above given advise and pay great attention to each minute detail posted in every respect so that I will get optimum results, needed to gain knowledge and wisdom of lighting a Carbon Arc unit. So I can say that I have achieved what it has taken many years for others to learn. Or I will invite my buddy over who is a 40 year projectionist with the phrase " I have Beer" if you can help. :)

Last edited:
I have not been abel to light eather unit up but from the lens the throw has to be vary big

I will carefully fellow all the above given advise and pay great attention to each minute detail posted in every respect so that I will get optimum results, needed to gain knowledge and wisdom of lighting a Carbon Arc unit. So I can say that I have achived what it has take many years for others to learn. Or I will invite my buddy over who is a 40 year projectionist with the phrase " I have Beer" if you can help. :)
As I explained, this does not feed the arc like a DC lamphouse. When you turn the power switch on, the constant speed AC synchronous motor starts feeding the carbons together. Strike your arc right away. Follow the setup procedure I explained. All voltage adjustments are done with the arc burning. Good luck and have fun!

As I explained, this does not feed the arc like a DC lamphouse. When you turn the power switch on, the constant speed AC synchronous motor starts feeding the carbons together. Strike your arc right away. Follow the setup procedure I explained. All voltage adjustments are done with the arc burning. Good luck and have fun!
Actuality I am femiler on how the system works I was Just having a little fun

RonHebbard why the sad face?
RonHebbard why the sad face?
@Gregmm ( @Paulene Thyratrol )
Secondarily because you posted looking for accurate / honest info' then, after a number of members gave freely of their time, you post back informing us you're a quick study with tons of knowledge / decades of experience and "Actuality I am femiler on how the system works I was Just having a little fun".

The next time you post looking for "a little fun", many of us will remember to ignore you and let you enjoy your "little fun".
'nough said before @dvsDave deletes me for being a cantankerous old geezer.
I'll crawl back in my cave.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Gregmm ( @Paulene Thyratrol )
Secondarily because you posted looking for accurate / honest info' then, after a number of members gave freely of their time, you post back informing us you're a quick study with tons of knowledge / decades of experience and "Actuality I am femiler on how the system works I was Just having a little fun".

The next time you post looking for "a little fun", many of us will remember to ignore you and let you enjoy your "little fun".
'nough said before @dvsDave deletes me for being a cantankerous old geezer.
I'll crawl back in my cave.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Wow sorry my intent was not to say i know evey thing I just have some understanding of the system . Sory will not brother you any more.

nor as much fun to hug for hours on end;
Ha! Yes, they were a comfortable and warm friend! My sister still has all the old Supers sitting in her basement from the old days. I sometimes go up to visit her and always have to visit the "super" room. World has no use for the old carbon arc spots, but neither of us has had the heart to scrap or junk them.

Well... apparently I've had this thread in the back of my mind for a few years now because I was instantly reminded of it when I stumbled across this ad on the back of an early '70s issue of Theatrecraft. Out of the 60 or so issues in this back room dating from the late 60s to early 90s, this is the only issue (and ad) that has any mention of it.
IMG_20240110_143645.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back