Student in need of help connecting a DMX-512 laser to computer lighting software.

zachnesselmsu

Hi, I have a Sumger DM-RGB400 (Amazon.com) and a USB to DMX Interface Adapter RS485 Converter (Amazon.com)

I'm looking to connect it to my computer and run lighting software. I'm trying to use FreeStyler but willing to use another lighting software such as ONYX. My issue is setting up FreeStyler to recognize the usb device as an interface and/or fixture. Do I need to use Art-Net? Or do I need to download a driver? My end goal is to program a show where the laser will beam above the audience instead of what it does now on auto/sound mode where it could beam into the audience. Willing to venmo anyone who can help me set this up.

Thanks for your time.

Concerning your USB to DMX interface, one person on Amazon Comments appears to have it working with Windows 10 and indicates what setting was used in FreeStyler. In general though, this type of interface is known as "Open DMX". They are just a USB to serial converter. All the timing to make the DMX signal is dependent on the host PC running the lighting software. This has a reputation for having reliability problems. A better DMX interface will include a microprocessor that will generate a signal without assistance from the host PC. It could be USB or Ethenet based.

Concerning your USB to DMX interface, one person on Amazon Comments appears to have it working with Windows 10 and indicates what setting was used in FreeStyler. In general though, this type of interface is known as "Open DMX". They are just a USB to serial converter. All the timing to make the DMX signal is dependent on the host PC running the lighting software. This has a reputation for having reliability problems. A better DMX interface will include a microprocessor that will generate a signal without assistance from the host PC. It could be USB or Ethenet based.
Thanks for the response! Do you know what kind of micro-processor I need?

If you looking for something inexpensive then the UltraDMX Micro from DMXking works fairly well. They don't seem to be generally available right now but I saw one on ebay. I have one that I have used for various projects.

Thanks for the response! Do you know what kind of micro-processor I need?
The processor is not something you can add yourself. It's built into the interface.
If you looking for something inexpensive then the UltraDMX Micro from DMXking works fairly well. They don't seem to be generally available right now but I saw one on ebay. I have one that I have used for various projects.
I can second this recommendation. Both myself and several of our users have had reliable success with one of these. I fear right now DMXKing is struggling with the "chip shortage" however.

Due to the chip shortage, I can't find the UltraDMX Micro online. would this product work equally as well? (Amazon) If not, are there ethernet or Bluetooth products that would also work that might be in stock?
This is really a different product. It is a DMX interface that will only work with their subscription software. In the reviews, someone said they weren't too impressed with the laser support.

The closest to the UtraDMX Micro is probably the Enttec Pro which should be easy to find but more expensive. Looking on ebay, I saw many interfaces from China that claimed to be compatible with the Enttec Pro but without any review I wouldn't trust them.

Since this is a student project and if you might have a spare Raspberry Pi lying around, you could consider a DMX interface sold on ebay. The software for the SD card is on github. I believe there is software for ethernet and USB to host PC. This is somewhat of a DIY project but I don't think there is any soldering involved. It is made by BitWizard.

It has been out for a while and I have one. It was a couple years ago and I don't recall all the details but I believe it worked well with USB.

will lead you to

Lots of Enttec Pro compatibility claims...which, if true, make for a less expensive interface if cost control is a concern.
Personally I'm of the inclination to do the work to remain untethered, but that's not for always the most efficient way to proceed

Lots of Enttec Pro compatibility claims...which, if true, make for a less expensive interface if cost control is a concern.
Personally I'm of the inclination to do the work to remain untethered, but that's not for always the most efficient way to proceed
It is a pretty versatile DMX interface. You can go from a USB Enttec compatible to one using ethernet protocols by just changing the software on SD cards. The DMX is opto-isolated too. The Orange Pi should work well. You would need the 26-pin header populated.

I was using it with a Pi 2 Model B. I now remember trying it with sACN and playing around with DMX over standard wifi. I have not tried the pixel controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back