Student instructed to light a match on stage, cardboard set caught fire

Discussion in 'News' started by dvsDave, Sep 25, 2016.

1. JChenault

JChenault Well-Known Member

While I agree with the sentiment, having an insured paid professional in the house is not the standard practice in my experience.

When we hired ZFX to fly a performer, the ZFX employee trained our folks and was not there for the performances.

2. seanandkate

seanandkate Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Educator
    Ditto with any fight I have seen. The fight director will train, choreograph, assign a fight captain, and move on. Certainly not there for performances.

3. Les

Les Well-Known Member

Certainly true with flying - I've worked with Foy on a few occasions, and they were present 100% of the time on one production, and only for training on the other. The determining factor being what package was purchased.

Now with pyro, the story is a little different. In many states, it's the law to have an NFPA licensed professional present. Merely the presence/approval of the AHJ/Fire Marshal won't cut it in my state (but their approval, at minimum, is always a prerequisite). Very rural areas may differ.

4. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Every year I do a 10 hour training intensive for new tech kids and a 1 1/2 refresher with the returning kids. We do a quick refresher on safe fly system operation and I "recertify them" as approved to operate it for another year. Then I give them a pep talk about safety and tell stories and show videos about stupid things people have done in the last year. This will definitely be in the presentation next week.

Blassiter likes this.
  5. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

Sure, I was overstating it.

Or maybe not, given what we're talking about.

Certainly, at the very least, it's the domain of the paid professional to determine whether you're ready to solo. :)

6. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
  7. Les

Les Well-Known Member

You are correct. The licenses themselves were granted by the State Fire Marshal. I should have been more clear.

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice