Students: Win a free ETC console for your School.

myself and the two other techs at my school were literaly working on an entry with our old console when the a guy from the district showed up and took it from us saying that we were getting a complete redo of our theatres lighting system. including new rack, new ETC conventionals but most of all a new element console. since we rarely use LEDs even we figured that would more than do for our needs, so the video was scrapped.

I just shared the link with a lot of my high school theatre director friends on Facebook. Hey Tex, wouldn't you like a new console? ;)

Sadly, it's not available outside of the US of A. I know of a lot of schools that would jump on it if they could...

Bring it on! Not just open to the U.S., not just to Europe. Open to everyone... except Quebec or countries not authorized for trade with the U.S. .... Don't ask me why not Quebec.

'Everyone' meaning students entering on behalf of schools (high schools, colleges, universities...). The contest is open to students ages 14 and older (under 18 will require the signature of a parent or guardian). Students must be currently affiliated with and enrolled in an institution of higher education.

Deadline to submit is Feb. 21, 2012. you still have time.

Bring it on! Not just open to the U.S., not just to Europe. Open to everyone... except Quebec or countries not authorized for trade with the U.S. .... Don't ask me why not Quebec.

Hey Ellen,
To quote clause 2 of the Terms and Conditions;
Participation in this contest is void outside the United States.

Might you want to have a chat to the relevant people in your office about that?

What the heck? The only entry appears to be CCM! I gotta figure something out for this. They do not need it, they have like 6 strong consoles. I heard they were buying a GrandMA2 next quarter! They have an Ion in the video for heaven's sake!

This is on!

Hi LXPlot,

As a current Junior at CCM, I can tell you that we are only renting the GrandMA2 as part of the "Moving Light Programming" curriculum to teach advanced programming methods. As for the "6 strong consoles," we have a large variety due to the amount of shows that are produced in our 3 performing spaces. (All three spaces may have shows running concurrently) In addition, there is a light lab which has classes running weekly and a lighting shop that needs a console to test any broken equipment. Finally, if you had read the info detailed in the video, the ION console was generously loaned to us by Cross Lighting solely to complete this project. So please, if you hear any more rumors about the lighting program or the equipment we have at CCM, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please do so before you post unconfirmed rumors on a public forum like this. Thank you.

Nik Robalino
[email protected]

Hi LXPlot,

As a current Junior at CCM, I can tell you that we are only renting the GrandMA2 as part of the "Moving Light Programming" curriculum to teach advanced programming methods. As for the "6 strong consoles," we have a large variety due to the amount of shows that are produced in our 3 performing spaces. (All three spaces may have shows running concurrently) In addition, there is a light lab which has classes running weekly and a lighting shop that needs a console to test any broken equipment. Finally, if you had read the info detailed in the video, the ION console was generously loaned to us by Cross Lighting solely to complete this project. So please, if you hear any more rumors about the lighting program or the equipment we have at CCM, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please do so before you post unconfirmed rumors on a public forum like this. Thank you.

Nik Robalino
[email protected]

So what desks do you have in house?

So what desks do you have in house?

Our most used console is our Obsession II for our main stage shows. We have a hog iPC that occasionally gets used in conjunction with the Obsession II for larger shows with a specific need for more complex moving light programming functions. We also have the Strand 550i for our main stage shows. Typically, the the Palette VL and the Element rotate between our studio theatre and our lighting workroom/repair shop testing console. Lastly our faithful Express 48/96 sits in our light lab and handles the bulk of class demonstrations and color tests. Eventually, many of the consoles listed above make their way to the light lab where students train on these machines as part of the "lighting programming" curriculum.

Nik Robalino

As the contest just states that anyone is able to submit an entry I can't say yes or no (neither do I work for etc) but it does seem a little odd that a school with 5 actual consols plus the budget to rent be the only entry. I know my old high school is in need they are using horizon and the director feels that is "new" technology....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hi LXPlot,

Nik Robalino
[email protected]

Woah Nik, calm down a little. Last I checked, it was far from an insult to say that some school has a large inventory and rental budget. On the contrary, CCM is a well-respected school in the industry, and it's possible that wide variety of consoles has something to do with it. LXPlot has a point - if your professors/department heads/whatever decided that they really wanted an Eos/Ion for your spaces, they could buy one fairly easily, or be able to rent one pretty much whenever they wanted to. The reason you may not own the Ion isn't because it's too cost-prohibitive, it's because they believe the Obs/Hog/550i/Palette/Element/(Express) combination is enough - which I'm not inclined to disagree with.

I'm sure you can agree that your school was really not the intended audience for this contest. Does that mean that you should withdraw your video and bow out of the contest? Not really - that's why 60% of the decision is based on the judges' choices. You followed the rules, you submitted a strong video, and there's nothing saying that you can't do that. However, I think that ETC would prefer to award the consoles to a smaller, struggling school that demonstrates lots of enthusiasm for a new console rather than a larger, already well-equipped school that demonstrates a simple programming technique. No one here or in Middleton dislikes you, your video, or your school, it's just not what they're looking for. Just my 2c.

Woah Nik, calm down a little. Last I checked, it was far from an insult to say that some school has a large inventory and rental budget.

Hi Rochem, I come in peace, hehe, really I didn't mean to sound too agressive, but it did bother me that there were claims made about CCM's lighting inventory that made us look more well off than we really are.

I'm sure you can agree that your school was really not the intended audience for this contest.

Yes, I'd agree that there are probably many institutions that have fewer resources to work with, but then it would be rather pointless for a console such as the EOS or ION with strong multiple parameter control to go to a school without the inventory to use it to its potential.

Also, I think every school would ideally like to pride themselves with being "up to date" in the technology field and we are no different. Given the choice, I think many of our students would prefer an EOS or ION over some of our current consoles.

So again, I only mean well, and I think you'd agree that any educational institution would love to incorporate a top-notch console from one of the leading manufacturers in our industry.

Peace, love, and gobos everyone.

Nik Robalino

Hi Rochem, I come in peace, hehe, really I didn't mean to sound too agressive, but it did bother me that there were claims made about CCM's lighting inventory that made us look more well off than we really are.

Yes, I'd agree that there are probably many institutions that have fewer resources to work with, but then it would be rather pointless for a console such as the EOS or ION with strong multiple parameter control to go to a school without the inventory to use it to its potential.

Also, I think every school would ideally like to pride themselves with being "up to date" in the technology field and we are no different. Given the choice, I think many of our students would prefer an EOS or ION over some of our current consoles.

So again, I only mean well, and I think you'd agree that any educational institution would love to incorporate a top-notch console from one of the leading manufacturers in our industry.

Peace, love, and gobos everyone.

Nik Robalino

I honestly dont have time to watch the video or anything, but can someone inform me what CCM is?

At any rate: every school would be happy to have the most up-to-date stuff. And thats great. However, I really dont give a crap if most students would want to have the most up to date everything. I suppose I could do a ton of things, but everyone who I work for professionally says the best way to learn to design is with no budget, no inventory, and a 2 scene preset with 15 dimmers. Actually teaches you stuff like that. And I tend to agree. I can make a wicked cool show with a few hundred units in it, but if you cant make an artistic show with 10, did ya learn anything in school? So I actually dont think that any educational institution would want to incorporate a top-notch console. I think most would want a console that functions... That said, its pretty ballen that your school has all that stuff... There are days when your hacking at a colortran and you just want an Eos... SO BAD!

Also, IMHO, I think its a bit silly to say "but then it would be rather pointless... ... without the inventory to use its potential". I doubt you use most of your Console's potential in the light lab when your using your express, its got more functions than would be sensible to have in said lab... Should we replace it with a 12 chan 2 scene preset? Of course most consoles used in education are far overpowered for what they are doing. However, they are also far easier to use on a day to day basis, and that alone makes it worth getting a hold of for some people.

Just to be clear, no disrespect meant, the opinions expressed are my own, etc. All in the name of discussion I guess.

everyone who I work for professionally says the best way to learn to design is with no budget, no inventory, and a 2 scene preset with 15 dimmers. Actually teaches you stuff like that. And I tend to agree. I can make a wicked cool show with a few hundred units in it

Because I never get tired of arguing this point: No you can't. Learning the basics first is important, but if your education is based on a theatre that has a two scene preset you're not magically going to be able to scale up. So much of lighting design is being able to manage large amounts of information that comes with working on a larger system, especially if you are an assistant or in a tech oriented position. Last year (so one year out of school), I was the MA2 programmer for a show that had 50-60ish moving lights on it. Had I gone for a program that was a "focus on the essentials, you'll learn all that high tech stuff in the real world" I would have never been prepared for, or offered that gig.

/YMMV

Any other CB members working on entries?

Because I never get tired of arguing this point: No you can't. Learning the basics first is important, but if your education is based on a theatre that has a two scene preset you're not magically going to be able to scale up. So much of lighting design is being able to manage large amounts of information that comes with working on a larger system, especially if you are an assistant or in a tech oriented position. Last year (so one year out of school), I was the MA2 programmer for a show that had 50-60ish moving lights on it. Had I gone for a program that was a "focus on the essentials, you'll learn all that high tech stuff in the real world" I would have never been prepared for, or offered that gig.

/YMMV

Any other CB members working on entries?

Its a both sides of the coin thing. Both ways are correct. Both ways should be taught. Both of my spaces have dimmers with 0-10v control... and both spaces have hard patches. Both spaces are driven by consoles that were designed in the 90s. Both venues are packed full of fixtures designed in the 80s. However, both of these spaces see B and C market tours as well as high level goverment/corporate events. If you have never touched a patch panel, expression line console, or a 2209... your not going to do well in my space.

With both ways you can make a living wage. One is not better then the other... and in reality one does not pay more then the other. The technician that can do both is the one that has the real job security. Any university that just teaches the newest things turns out a product that can not work in the real world where no one can afford the ideal. Any program that just teaches the basics turns out a student that can't compete in the real world. There is a recession on people. Learn everything you can. Nothing is beneath you. Nothing is above you.

And....

IF YOU ARE A STUDENT, ANY STUDENT, MAKE A VIDEO. NOW. TAKE IT WITH YOUR PHONE. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LONG. JUST DO IT. YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO WIN SOME GREAT DEMO UNITS.

Yes, we are working on one. 2 more film locations and a bunch of post production to go... we'd probably be done by now if not for our current console crashing/freezing up/doing things its not supposed to/having to be restarted constantly! (So please vote for us once it's up as we really NEED a new console)

I've also heard that our theatre department is working on one.

Well, they're now up to four submissions.

And they're all pretty good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back