Studio Space Hazer Recommendation

ML.Rice

Hello Collective,
I am looking for a quiet, small/medium-sized hazer for my studio space. Budget-wise I have up to $1000 to spend. Our room is roughly 50' x 30' with a 12' ceiling. I am most interested in people's personal experience with smaller hazers because the sound is my biggest concern. Downstairs we can pump our DF-50 and Radiance forever and you'll never hear it over the orchestra; however upstairs we are doing far more intimate plays where the drone of a hazer would be very distracting.
Thank you in advance!

That price point is pretty limiting for a "Silent" hazer so i would look for something with a variable output.

My personal picks for pretty quiet for under $1,000

Antari F-5D
ADJ Entourage
Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2 Digital

as long as you keep the output low during the intimate parts you they should be plenty quiet. personally i would fill the room up prior to start and then set them to run low during the show. If you need it at full the whole show you could put it in between some insulating foam or depending on your A/C system, feed the haze into the a/c intake and the haze machine doesn't even need to be in the same room.

2 things to note. the first use on new lower end hazer is pretty loud as its filling the tank and priming everything. run it at full for an hour or 2, after that you should have a good idea what the real running volume will be. Second, see if any local stores carry them, typically you get a 14 day return window if its from a local shop.

It is possible to build a baffle box around a DF-50. They can work wonders for the sound. Just be aware that you are severely restricting airflow, and will build up a substantial amount of heat. This could shorten the life of your hazer considerably, and they do tend to turn into a sticky mess if you don't clean them regularly.

It is possible to build a baffle box around a DF-50. They can work wonders for the sound. Just be aware that you are severely restricting airflow, and will build up a substantial amount of heat. This could shorten the life of your hazer considerably, and they do tend to turn into a sticky mess if you don't clean them regularly.
Yeah, we have one around our mainstage DF-50 and you can still hear it in the house when it kicks on.

I've done some more budget digging and can come up with almost $2000 now. My top recommendations have been Look Solutions Unique 2, Chauvet Amhaze Whisper, and the hazebase Base Hazer. Can anyone speak to volume for any of these?

Yeah, we have one around our mainstage DF-50 and you can still hear it in the house when it kicks on.

I've done some more budget digging and can come up with almost $2000 now. My top recommendations have been Look Solutions Unique 2, Chauvet Amhaze Whisper, and the hazebase Base Hazer. Can anyone speak to volume for any of these?

That's why we typically leave ours on from doors to the end of the show. The constant sound just becomes background noise and most people will not even realize it's there.

I just bought an Amhaze Whisper for a 170 seat blackbox. It's very quiet, love that aspect. No issues with it at the edge of the stage for Little Shop of Horrors. Would be fine to use for a straight play that needed it.

I just can't run it low enough! We keep it at 3% and still have to put it on a cycle or the room gets too thick. You may have different results with your HVAC situation, but I guess it's better than not getting enough output.

Mike

We have a unique 2 and love it. It can be a slight haze or almost a full on smoke. Noise is not too bad and it runs from start to finish on about 30%. The space is 45ft x 25ft x 15ft high.
It is also a water based haze if that makes any difference to you.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back