Studio Spot 575 CMY - To zoom or not to zoom

What are you using them for? If you plan to use them as deck fixtures for concerts, or at a night club for a party, zoom matters less than for proper theatre.

How close of a distance? I'd just stick with the non-zoom. The Zoom has a variable field angle from 18-30deg, but you can get 18deg, 30deg, as well as a 13deg lenses for the non-zoom unit. Depending how close you're talking, you may be best off with the 30deg lens. But if you really need something halfway between the 18 and the 30, then the zoom is probably your best option.

If you are buying new I'd also look at other fixtures from Robe, Elation and others.

The SS is a very dated fixture. The CMY has no color wheel and the mixing system is very dated. A result is it's nearly impossible to get an even wash in any tints, if that matters.

It is a very silent unit with no fans, totally convection cooled, and that's a plus. As well it has a nice gobo set with 2 rotational wheels. Easy to swap gobo's as well.

Not particularly punchy though and a newer design would be brighter at about the same lamp/wattage.

FWIW,, I own 6 and have used them for 7 years in a rep. hang. I've changed one tilt motor and am about to fix the zoom on a 2nd, but for the hours used pretty reliable.

I would go with the zoom. I don't have the zoom so I have to swap out lenses. Easy but another thing to keep track of. When I put the fixtures on the deck I normally throw in the 30deg lenses. When in the air I use the standard unless lighting a cyc.

I have never had much trouble with any spots or colors. Just a motor or electronic power supply here and there. I have also changed out a few electronic ballasts over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back