Study: Harsh lighting may damage embryos

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Oi....that was....something.

D-Ohh!
They ever think it might be.. ohh.. the UV content ??? (As Sunlight is worst, followed by Florescent, and inky-dinky-descent is the best.)

Sometimes real smart people can be real dumb!

Luckily, most of us don't play around with live embryos in a test tube while re-lamping a super trouper!

I can just see everyone from the pro-life movement in a picket line protesting 5600K light sources.

Maybe the Guys that design lights for CSI : Las Vegas are Pro-lifers and thats why they light everything so dimly.

So I think Everyones getting the funny of this. They had to spend money to do a study to find out that Ultra-violet light, from Flourescent tubes, is damaging to a process that typically takes place inside the human body. As Ultra violet light is one of the major contributors to Genetic mutation is the big world I find it silly to think no one every thought about it being damaging in a laboratory enviroment.
What next ? They're going to find out Flouro's cause cancer and if they hadn't been using flouro's in the labs all these years they would have found a cure ten years ago ?

All those CFL's are just cancer machines!

Fluorescent and other arc source lighting has more than color temperature to study about it. If one searches the net under the concept of light box, one will learn lots of theories that also have similar substantiation and study about the effects of natural lighting verses fake lighting. This is all also directly opposed to just banning all incandescent lighting and going CFL’s.

There is it would seem some health benefits to a higher - within the 85 or 100 range for CRI (Color Rendering Index.) Wether or not this study took into account (doubtful) the effects of lighting on health in general as it relates to embryos is not known but not likely. Simple terms, we all feel better after a few days straight on a dark stage to get out into the sun for even a few minutes. Sunlight is healthy as with natural sources of light that provide the full spectrum of light. A major question of this above study might be asked about CRI of the lamps in the test. While not uniform, for the most part in common fluorescent lamps, between the “bad” 4,1K Cool White lamps and normally 3,5 to 3,0K - these days at least warm white lamps, the CRI of the lamps raises with the lower the color temperature. On the other hand, often neither simulates natural or incandescent lighting sufficiently. Fluorescents can come close but are not.

What the study I think didn’t sufficiently study and would have been more important than color temperature in general would be color rendering index effects on the fetus. Let’s face it, most cool white lamps are common to the market and little better than 65 CRI these days. Given IMPACT 1986, most warm white lamps have been removed from the market. Of those that still exist they are often much higher in overall range of color spikes in color temperature thus more efficient. Very likely we are talking a 1950's car having less gas milage than that of 1990's car. Gee, ya think?

On the other hand, and in my fiancee having read the article and become concerned, I did have to tell her with the expectations of two years from now our baby girl being born, that the shop lights are both warm white, and more important a much higher CRI than a common fluorescent. This given the lighting in the shop is insufficient and not persay the best lamps possible unlike in my work area, they should have no adverse effects on her. Scare type stuff sucks. Further study is needed. Again not the movie “Soilent Green” but another movie I think from the period if I remember correctly where people had to stand in formation in front of sun lamps so as to gain healthy benefits. IT’s real, one needs some amount of that radiation from the full spectrum of light. However in general, most designed lighting even if fluorescent wont have this problem. Offices that let some company come in and lamp them for them etc. Electricians that do what’s easy, even classrooms, that’s more problematic. Study of lamps on the other hand does not hinder it normalizes when you choose what’s used. Good study in concept to read about, not so much to worry about unless this is the case where you work. My theory, cool white lamps are evil. It’s the worst color temperature available. Anything higher or lower than 4,1K is more natural be it simulating the sun or simulation of incandescent.

More important is CRI. While a fairly newer scale to measure lamps against, it is much more accurate when it comes to arc sources and the effects of such light on not just color rendering but how the body reacts to it. A lack of citing this concept makes the article amature.

"Embryos"

Those are like those first year college students, right ?.

SB

...........On the other hand, and in my fiancee having read the article and become concerned, I did have to tell her with the expectations of two years from now our baby girl being born, that the shop lights are both warm white, and more important a much higher CRI than a common fluorescent. ......................................

Assure your Fiancee that she has nothing to worry about if you going the old fashioned way. This study was only concerned with the health of 'In Vitro" fertilized embryos. Which is why I seemed to find it a bit of a, "duh". I would have thought that with the delicacy of such an operation that all sorts of protections against all sorts of radiation would have been in place. While I agree that the affects of artificial light have all sorts of health effects, I don't think Birth defects, or genetic mutations would be one.

Just as a sidenote, something many parents out there may know, Pregnancy is an amazingly delicate process. 65 - 75% of all pregnancies spotaneously abort in the first 6 - 8 weeks. While we are all taught in Health class, " It only takes one little swimmer......" which can be true, It's amazing any babies are ever carried to term.

There have been several new health studies showing the benefits of light in the treatment of Chronic Pain, accelerated healing, and mood alteration. I find the studies dealing with Color and Mood, or behavior modification, to be particularly amazing.

Ok Dr. Van has to go to bed now.

Maybe the Guys that design lights for CSI : Las Vegas are Pro-lifers and thats why they light everything so dimly.
So I think Everyones getting the funny of this. They had to spend money to do a study to find out that Ultra-violet light, from Flourescent tubes, is damaging to a process that typically takes place inside the human body. As Ultra violet light is one of the major contributors to Genetic mutation is the big world I find it silly to think no one every thought about it being damaging in a laboratory enviroment.
What next ? They're going to find out Flouro's cause cancer and if they hadn't been using flouro's in the labs all these years they would have found a cure ten years ago ?
I've been saying that Flourescent tubes cause cancer for years...but thats just cause I hate them.

Luckily, most of us don't play around with live embryos in a test tube while re-lamping a super trouper!

But we should!

Well, the good Lord, nature, evolution, or whatever you believe in, seamed to have the good sense to have the key elements of mating and embryo development happen deep under flesh where it is nice and dark with very little UV. One would hope that those who circumvent or replace the process using beakers and test tubes would at least treat the process with the same respect shown to a common piece of photographic film! After all, a lot more then an image is developing there. We have all this stuff built into our skin to protect us from normal amounts of light whereas embryos do not. If you polled 100 people and asked them if UV light can be dangerous, probably 98 would say "yes" and the other two would scratch their heads and say "Huh? You Be? Whoot's tat?" It just surprises me that people with that much education would miss that point!

There have been several new health studies showing the benefits of light in the treatment of Chronic Pain, accelerated healing, and mood alteration. I find the studies dealing with Color and Mood, or behavior modification, to be particularly amazing.
Ok Dr. Van has to go to bed now.

I installed some high CRI Chroma 50 under shelving lamps surrounding my work area, plus incandescent work lights for each table. Amazing how much better the overall mood is on a day to day basis thanks to the fluoros, much less given the greater intensity on the work table how much easier it is to function & stay focused. Helps mood and productivity.

Oveall, there is 3,5K T-8, 85CRI fluoros overhead, Chroma 50 T-12, 90CRI lamps 6' up surrounding the area & each table has at least one work light and a fluorescent magnifier lamp if not better. It's bright in my area but not blinding.

...............................Oveall, there is 3,5K T-8, 85CRI fluoros overhead, Chroma 50 T-12, 90CRI lamps 6' up surrounding the area & each table has at least one work light and a fluorescent magnifier lamp if not better. It's bright in my area but not blinding.

Sounds about like the inside of the space ship from Close Encounters! You know, when the doors open on the bottom of the ship and all those people walk out...... Wait a minute bright lights, ship, Incredible amounts of technological knowledge......................

Ships and Alien !

:mrgreen:

In TBA wife's plan for our futre two years from now ... and my intent on girl child, are you incinuating anthing?

Or in other words, the guest beedroom/TBA baby room, should I be concerned about the plan for it's lighting and decoration? This not at all worried about having a baby some day or adopting persay in a sort of vicarious type of feeding lamp specs to a child no matter the lineage type of way while they sleep... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back