Control/Dimming Stupid Ion Questions 2

I just tried this in the OLE.

Ch's 1 thru 5 recorded in Subs 1-5 at full respectively. Auto Playback is enabled.

Keypad "Sub 1 thru 5 @ Full, Enter". Values for Ch's 1 - 5 are at full in yellow, so getting levels from subs.

"Record Cue 1, Enter". Values for Ch's 1 thru 5 go blue, so values now generated from the cue.

"Go to Cue Zero, Enter". Values restore as Ch's 1 thru 5 @ full and yellow, so back to subs.

Am I missing something ?.

My apologies - I totally read your original post as "releases sub levels".

Though, I would be careful with this as you could have non-intensity parameters still controlled by the cue list.

No problem, I was careful to phrase it as if I might be doing something stupid. Happens a lot.

And yes, dealing with NIP's is a whole different ball game. Like the explanation we are avoiding of Go to CUe Zero, Versus Out.

It does not. "Go to Cue 0" returns all intensity values owned by a cue list or that have been brought up manually to 0. Personally I always use "Go to Cue Out", though that's probably a discussion for another time.

"Sub 1 thru Home Enter" will return all of your subs to their home values though.

This should be clarified for the differences in Intensity vs NIPS (Non intensity paramaters)

"Go to cue 0" = Intensity data only
"Go to cue out" = all channel data.
Both are valid only for control being asserted by the selected cue stack when using "go to cue 0" and all cue stacks when using "go to cue out"

Scott is absolutely correct in that we could open an entire forum on the discussion of when to use which. I'm also personally a fan of turning a fader "off" and always loading cues. Rarely do I use Go To Cue.

Does making your submasters LTP give your the control you want?

If I'm understanding correctly, you have sub 1-5 set to channel 1-5 (like an Express 48/96).

If you put those at 50% and record cue 1, you want to run the faders to 25% and see that live on stage then record that look as cue 2?

I think just making your subs LTP would do that. You might also have to set the sub priority higher than the cue list priority.

However... I'd move away from that sort of workflow and just type the levels in, then record cue 1. Then you can just type in changes and record cue 2.

I might be missing something but this seems like trying to skin a cat with a butter knife... :/

I guess it depends on how you're accustomed to programming lights -- and, to a certain extent, on what you're programming them *for*.

"How to get the work done", and it's subsidiary "how should the tools behave to best support that" have been my bread and butter for 30 years, as a systems analyst; I feel pretty comfortable saying "this is the way I want the board to work; how do I make it work that way?" even if that's not the way lots of people work.

If I later ram my toe into something because of it, well, that's my problem, isn't it? :)

I haven't had the chance to get in and play in this particular overhire house yet, but I think the "Auto Cue Playback=Off" thing mentioned above will get me what I want, which, yes, is the ability to set my submaster faders (which usually have groups programmed onto them in fact, though I promote solo spot channels to them as well for convenience in busking) to get a look on stage, and then record that look in a cue, and move on to the next look by adjusting the faders and not having to fight with the cue having taken over.

We program against a live rehearsal a *lot*, and the less I can get in the director's way, the happier everyone involved will be. Anything that involves GotoCue0 a lot, and unexpected blackouts, and the like, makes life harder for me, and for them.

From the get go it sounds like you desire to program the same way I have to on occasion, namely using lots of subs and storing looks into cues to be played back later.

Disabling Auto Playback is how I work when doing this as it lets me keep the sub look and not deal with cues, except to know that it's saved for playback.

One thing that I find very useful during this is a magic sheet that tells at a glance the levels of the gear. This way I don't have to pay attention to channel numbers or sub numbers. It's all viewable on screen. It's especially useful when popping thu cues in blind as the MS shows the changes readily. Attached is a MS I created for our 8 dance recitals, only on of which gets a cueing session, all others busked live. Makes for some busy operators.

Attachments

• Dance Recital MS.JPG
    Dance Recital MS.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 270
One thing that will greatly help is to set your submaster priority higher than your playback priority. This will leave your subs in the foreground over your playbacks. (higher numbers = higher priority... a little bassackwards compared to how many think of priority) In this case it doesn't even matter if your subs are HTP or LTP as they will ride over any control inputs of lower priority. This will allow you to freely adjust subs on the fly and record cues even if you are in auto-playback mode. However, if you are also using a mix of manual values (keyed or wheeled) you will want auto-playback off or those values will get taken over by the cue. I don't know if you can change the priority of manual values.

I'll look at that, Alex, but it appears to be another "here's a solution, but it only gets you 90% there" answer. Turning off Auto Playback appears to get me 100 of the way to where I want to be, and I haven't yet been told of any tradeoffs I can't live with. :)

From the get go it sounds like you desire to program the same way I have to on occasion, namely using lots of subs and storing looks into cues to be played back later.

Disabling Auto Playback is how I work when doing this as it lets me keep the sub look and not deal with cues, except to know that it's saved for playback.

One thing that I find very useful during this is a magic sheet that tells at a glance the levels of the gear. This way I don't have to pay attention to channel numbers or sub numbers. It's all viewable on screen. It's especially useful when popping thu cues in blind as the MS shows the changes readily. Attached is a MS I created for our 8 dance recitals, only on of which gets a cueing session, all others busked live. Makes for some busy operators.
And now that we've got at least one of our two touchscreens working, I may clean up our magic sheet; that's a nice sample, thanks.

You can put numerical (or an intensity bar) level info anywhere on or in the object. On my MS, it's the number in the lower right, some say FL, others 70, etc... as well you can make the object fill have intensity gradient, so you see at a glance what on. Top and front pinks as example are at 30% and have some gradient fill as opposed to the Amb and Blue which are at background black, thus off.

Yes, haven't seen issues or much chat about bugs.

Version 2.5.2 is IMO, the most stable update I've seen out of ETC. They have a reputation for fixing 2 things while breaking 1, not the case this time. Reported annoying bugs seem way down.

Note that for Windows machines, the actual console software also functions as the off-line editor, so one download.

Ok, so I did upgrade to 2.5.2, and I started in trying to replicate the paper magic sheet we already use as closely as "rotating from portrait to landscape" will permit, but, @SteveB, I can't get my Group buttons to show level the way the buttons on your example above do. Does it only do intensity tracking for Channels, even though the Group object has a checkbox to turn it on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back