Stupid ION Questions 4: Ballys

Jay Ashworth

What do you like for doing ballys on movers?

Do you do that with an effect? If I run the same effect on more than one mover in a cue, will they all be synchronized, and how do you avoid that?

There's a default effect 909 that does ballyhoos. Copy it to another effect and edit to suit your taste. Out of the box it runs a 10 second cycle dividing the channel selection into 2 groups. This video talks about colour effects but the principles are the same for a focus effect. There are many more instructional videos there as well.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been through most of the Ion-specific vids, but hadn't gotten to that set yet.

So you're saying that effect automagically splits the stuff in a group to which it's applied, and cross-phases them, then? Nice.

I've just gotten the 2.5.2 upgrade in, and the second touchscreen touching (finally), and am raring to play. Thanks for the pointers.

Yup. In the order the fixtures are selected. So the {Offset} softkey is really useful, as is the grouping function, and fan for getting really creative.

One stupid question: I assume you make such an effect invisible by taking the intensity channels to 0 in the appropriate next cue, but how do you *stop* the effect? I know there's a softkey, but how do you do it in the cue? Or does the effect, being part of a cue, just stop automagically when that cue is completely executed and you're on the next one?

Well, I'd just *record* that cue, since I haven't created it yet. :)

Now I have to figure out the effect editor, since the effect didn't look like I expected, even after I played with it a bit (specifically, when I selected both pan and tilt, I didn't get the circle the editor led me to expect, I got a figure 8).

But I'm 75% of the way there. And the EOS tutorials are relatively useful even for Ion drivers, as long as you know what to ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back