Subwoofer For a dance

Bryce_J

In 3 weeks I have a DJ gig for a dance. But my current pa system has horrible bass. I am planning on making my own rule 18" sub later this year but there is no way I will have enough money to make it in time. I have two old 12" subs sitting around and I was thinking of using them to make a cheap crap sub but the only problem is I do not have and amp. All I have is a surround sound receiver that could power it at all. So my question is have any of u heard of being abel to rent a amp? or How much would it cost for me to rent a pretty big sub like two 18" subs and a amp? please get back to me ASAP!

You could rent an amplifier or an amp and subs but the rental cost is going to depend on your location, your relationship with the rental company, the length of time you rent, what they have available when you need it, etc. so you really need to contact some local production companies to find out what your options are and how much it would cost.

And don't forget that you are going to need some type of crossover to split the low frequencies to the subs and the high frequencies to your mains. The crossover may be built into the subwoofers, a standalone device or part of a more comprehensive speaker processor.

A powered sub would be your easiest add on if you can find one to rent. They have built in crossovers and amplifiers.

A powered sub would be your easiest add on if you can find one to rent. They have built in crossovers and amplifiers.
Not all powered subs have integrated crossovers. Most have a low pass filter for the subwoofer but many provide a simple unprocessed 'loopthrough' signal to the mains rather than a high passed signal. For example, the outputs of the QSC KW181 suggested above are direct pass-throughs of the incoming signals and the high pass filtering for the mains is handled in the associated KW series mains that would commonly be used with that subwoofer. If their existing system does not provide appropriate high pass filtering then with a speaker like the KW181 they might require some device that would provide that filtering so that only the higher frequencies are reproduced by the mains.

Not all powered subs have integrated crossovers. Most have a low pass filter for the subwoofer but many provide a simple unprocessed 'loopthrough' signal to the mains rather than a high passed signal.

Okay, I should have said they have part of a crossover, because a what is a crossover but a series of filters that allow certain frequencies to pass. While running the full range speakers with some sort of high pass filter would be ideal, it is not the only way. It would be more efficient and probably sound cleaner but for a DJ it would most likely be fine to run an aux to the sub or use some sort of loop thru. Since we don't know what exactly the rest of the system is and since our friend mentioned that all he has is a surround receiver to power something I really was trying to give him the simple version.

Okay, I should have said they have part of a crossover, because a what is a crossover but a series of filters that allow certain frequencies to pass. While running the full range speakers with some sort of high pass filter would be ideal, it is not the only way. It would be more efficient and probably sound cleaner but for a DJ it would most likely be fine to run an aux to the sub or use some sort of loop thru. Since we don't know what exactly the rest of the system is and since our friend mentioned that all he has is a surround receiver to power something I really was trying to give him the simple version.
Good points if they were borrowing equipment or having to work with a less than ideal situation. But if they are going to rent something then it seems to make sense to rent, or at least try to rent, something that will work well with what they have. Of course knowing what they have would certainly help.

Iv'e actually never seen a powered sub with a HPF on the pass through. I'm sure it exists, but it's not particularly useful in most professional situations. Any decent full range powered top box will not need an additional crossover.

Iv'e actually never seen a powered sub with a HPF on the pass through. I'm sure it exists, but it's not particularly useful in most professional situations. Any decent full range powered top box will not need an additional crossover.
I don't think the OP mentioned if their existing speakers were powered or not but they did note their having "horrible bass", thus if they added one or more subwoofers my assuming they would benefit from keeping the low frequencies out of those speakers.

The JBL PRX715XLF and PRX718XLF are examples of powered subwoofers that offer a high passed connection for the mains, in this particular case the output is selectable as full range or high passed. The matching PRX710/712/715/725/735 mains do not appear to have an integrated high pass filter. The common Mackie HD1801 powered subwoofer also offers full range or high passed outputs. Not that these are necessartly professional or install speakers, but they are very common for portable PA systems.

Good point. "Horrible bass" may indicate that the speakers may be in need of a crossover. The down side to crossing over in the sub, is not having independent level control of the tops, and sub from the console.

It may not be Ideal, but it could be an easy and inexpensive solution, that will likely work just fine for the application.

Other benefits to renting a powered sub(s), is built in limiting, and the fact that there are less pieces of gear to move around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back