suggestion for a tool kit

Don't worry about "hot tools" initially. I have a set (of course) but unless you are working on some Neamon Marcus exit lights in replacement or some form of company sump pump while hot, once you trash the outer coating of hot tools, you throw them out. Been burned more than once by loaning my at the time secondard hot tools out to novices and getting them back trashed.

Hot tools are management level tools and something to keep locked up. This with your own personal Nicopress tool is something only for much later. Believe me that if someone expects you to be working on hot circuits, they have some serious safety problems.

Hot tools are really nice, Have a set of bottle neck linsemens that are unique for occasional usage, and I use my old style wire strippers in being comfort grip on a daily level, but for hot tool itself, it's special tools you not as a electrician should not need investement in until much later. The screw driver versions of them especially take a lot of abuse.

Have a set of hot 1" cable cutters for when "crap hits the fan." By the time I reached for them it would be by far too late. Much less one would hope I never have to use them given eye protection and other protections are also not normally warn.

While seemingly third alternative brand to Klien and Comtrex for hot tools, I would advise against purchase of them. Very espensive and once the insulation is rubbed away, you must throw them out.

This is what I carry in my primary tool bag. All the following items listed are in a CLC Electricians tool Pouch. Its a lot, but it all is necessary since I to lighting, sound, and A/V

• SETWEAR EZ FIT 2 GLOVES WITH BELT CLIP
SHARPIE WITH LANYARD (lanyard with sharpie cap secured to it with e tape so I can wear it around my neck)
• NOTE PAD, PEN, MECHANICAL PENCIL (o.5mm lead)
• MAG LITE HEADBAND STRAP
PELICAN CASE LATCH OPENER(actual tool to open latches on the case www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com
• BUISNESS CARDS AND HOLDER
• POCKET SIZE PROLINE KNOT GUIDE
• SPYDERCO SNAP IT KNIFE (since discontinued)
CONSOLE, ELECTRICAL TAPE (console tape is white artisits tape)
• HUSKY PRECISION SCREWDRIVERS
• SETWEAR TOOL LEASH
• MAGNETIC PICK UP TOOL
• KLEIN ELECTRICIAN SCISSORS (great for gobos)
• LARGE KLEIN DIKES 8" (model D228-8)
BMI EDISON LAMP CONTINUITY CHECKER (seperate from bottom 2)
• SOLDER ( silver1.0mm flux free )
• EXTRA BUTAIN FOR PORTASOL
• XCELITE GREENIE SCREWDRIVER XLR CONNECTORS www.toolsforstagecraft.com
• TELEPHONE LINE TESTER
DMX DATA TESTER
• CRAFTSMAN PRECISION WIRE CUTTER
XLR CABLE TESTER
CUBE TAP
• LITE BITE FOR MAG LITE
• MINI MAG CONVERTED TO LED
PIN SPLITTER II(20a - 100a)
• CRAFTSMAN NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS
• KLEIN WIRE STRIPPERS (model # 1011)
• MEDIUM SIZE CHANNELLOCK DIKES
• CRAFTSMAN SLIP JOINT PLIERS
• KLEIN 10 IN 1 SCREWDRIVER
• FLUKE VOLT TESTER (voltalert 1vac)
• CRAFTSMAN SPEED WRENCH 3/8 – 7/16
• CRAFTSMAN SPEED WRENCH 5/8 – ¾
• 8 INCH KLEIN ADJUSTABLE WRENCH
ALTMAN WRENCH
• GATOR GRIP SOCKET WITH RATCHET
BMI STAGE PIN LAMP TESTER
BMI STAGE PIN POWER TESTER
• WELLER PORTASOL BUTAIN SOLDERING IRON
• CRAFTSMAN FOLDING UTILITY KNIFE
• KLEIN HEX SET 3/16 – 3/8 (both model grip-it)
• KLEIN HEX SET .050 – 3/16
CRAFTSMAN POCKET SIZE MULTI METER
BLACK AND BLUE SHARPIE

I will list the contents of my additional tool box in a bit. All my tools are color coded and engraved with my name.

The following items are in my craftsman sst rolling tool box. This box goes along with my CLC bag for large installs.

FLUKE#175 MULTI METER W/ STANDARD AND ALIGATOR CLIP PROBES
GREEN LEE GT-11 VOLTAGE DETECTOR
6" CRESCENT WRENCH
GRT-500 EDISON TESTER
2 DIFFERENT SIZE HEMOSTAT
LARGE TWEEZERS
KRAZY GLUE ( you never know, a just in case item)
SHARPIES
PEN, MECHANICAL PENCIL ( 0.5mm)
GREASE PENCILS
PAINT PEN
REVERSIBLE MINI RATCHETING SCREWDRIVER (craftsman)
CRESCENT RATCHETING SCREWDRIVER
ROTARY GEL CUTTER (fiskars) www.toolsforstagecraft.com
ESTWING 16OZ HAMMER
E TAPE
GAM CHEK
KLEIN LINESMAN PLIERS (model # d213-9ne)
KLEIN MAGNETIC SPEED LEVEL
CRAFTSMAN AVIATION SNIPS
GREENLEE 300A AMP PROBE
FELCO C7 AIRCRAFT CABLE CUTTER
KLEIN 6 IN 1 TAPPING TOOL
ALLEN KEY SET 3/16 7/32 1/4 5/16 3/8
LIGHT SPEED WRENCH www.roadietools.com
CRESCENT 8' ADJUSTABLE WRENCH
UTILITY SCISSORS
REGULAR SCISSORS
STANLEY 35' POWERLOCK TAPE MEASURE
KLEIN HEAVY DUTY WIRE CUTTERS (model# 63050)
STANLEY INSTANT CHANGE UTILITY KNIFE
CUBE TAPS
SPARE UTILITY BLADES
LARGE CHANNELLOCKS
TIE LINE
KLEIN SCREWDRIVER SET
ROADIE TOOLS WING NUT SOCKET AND DRIVER
2 - 15/16 SOCKET WITH DRIVERS AND EXTENDERS FOR TRUSS (deep throat)
3/4 SOCKET
GB INSULATED ELECTRICIAN SCREWDRIVERS FLAT AND PHILLIPS
3/8 BOX WRENCH
SCREWDRIVER MAGNETIZER
STAINLESS STEEL LOCK WIRE
HEAD LAMP
MAG LITE DESK STAND (nite ize)
2 - 100' FIBER GLASS MEASURING TAPES TO SET TRIM FOR CHAIN MOTORS
KNEE PADS
CLOTHES PINS
PIPE WRENCH
ADJUSTABLE SPUD WRENCH FOR ALIGNING TRUSS (crescent steel workers tool with adjustable head for aligning truss to insert bolts)
15/16 BOX WRENCH (husky)
ECKLAND T HANDLE HEX DRIVERS
KLEIN STANDARD NUT DRIVERS
KLEIN MULTI-CABLE CUTTER (MODEL# 63020-SEN)
KLEIN WIRE STRIPPER/CUTTER (MODEL# 11057-SEN)
CRAFTSMAN METRIC NUT DRIVERS
CRAFTSMAN 7.2 VOLT HIGH PERFORMANCE SCREWDRIVER (Sears item #00911479000 Mfr. model #11479 ) ( for assembling and dissasembling racks)
FIRST AID KIT
MISC CHEATERS
FRICTION AND SPLICING TAPE
WIRE NUTS
MALE EDISON TO FEMALE STAGE PIN ADAPTER(2)
FEMALE EDISON TO MALE STAGE PIN ADAPTER(2)
BLACK AND DECKER 12 VOLT CORDLESS DRILL WITH BRINKMAN XENON FLASHLIGHT MOUNTED TO IT WITH A SCOPE MOUNT. ( NOT NORMAL)
ASSORTED DRILL BITS

I also carry a EMS tech brief with my paper work, emergency poncho,umbrella, leaherman wave with tool kit, Inova XO, Petzel Tak Tikka headlamp, sharpie, pens, mini mag converted to led, gerber 600 series blunt nose black multiplier, palm Zire 71 pda with built in camera, buisness cards, 100ft tape measure for site surveys, Buck Lumina folding knife, extra pair of setwear ez fit gloves, and a nite ize pouch.

ok this is what i have and just got today and i only spent about $130. i dont need the best name or highest quailty, it only has to work.

1 – Gatemouth canvas bag
1 – pair of thinsulate gloves
100 – cable ties
1 – Cen-tech DMM (it was $4)
1 – Edison outlet tester
3 – swatchbooks
1 – allen wrench set
1 – precision screwdriver set
1 – toolshop cable cutter
5 – adjustable c wrenches(3-8”, 1-6”, 1-10”)(one good 8” Huskey)
6 – Stanley screwdrivers
1 – 25’ tape measure
1 – soft cotton tool pouch(for when im up on a ladder)
2 – rolls of electrical tape
1 – socket set
2 – utility knives
1 – wire stripper
1 – needle nose pliers
1 – side cutters
1 – diagonal cutters
1 - straight pliers
1 – channel lock pliers
2 – linesmen pliers
1 – mini can of WD-40

proxy.php

proxy.php

oh and for now till i can get my dads electric pen or an engraver, i just labeled everything with a sharpie wtih my entials

and one last thing: when iwent to menards and home depot, i asked if they had a tool lanyrd but the people at both places didnt knwo what i was talking about. where can i get one? also does anyone know what store carriers Ironclade, or something like that, work gloves?

why not make one?
im not sure on the safety on this according to others, but everyone ive worked with says its fine.

take a telephone cord (the one that coils)
two carabiners(sp?)
gaff tape

cut the cable to a reasonable length.
tie the carabiners to either end with a good, strong knot.
wrap the ends in gaff tape to secure it.

thats what the ld i worked with last summer did, at school i have one with aircraft cable, but its hard to use. i was planning to make my own but form this everyone said buy one but where?

setwear sells them for like...$10

and i just sent that in an email to [email protected]
oops.

Ironclad's web site has a list of distributors - just click on the "find a distributor" button (top right).

If there is not one close by, contact Ironclad and they will get them to you. I bought up big last year when I was in the states (as we didn't have them yet here - but now I keep stock). There was no distributor in Baltimore, so they had them shipped over from PA at no additional cost. However, this may have been because I ordered multiple gloves.

Let me know what you go with - it would be interesting to see what you guys buy and use compared to what we are using here.

Duluth Trading Company has tool lanyards, that's where i got mine.

im going to start purchasing a tool kit for myself, maunly for lighting and general tech. heres what i have on my shopping list so far. im looking at spend around $100-200 at most, total. any suggestions and any additons would be great.

- tool bag/case(medium sized canvas bag)
- pens/pencils(Pilot G2’s)
- sharpies
- gloves
- swatch books
- maybe a product catalog
- graphing notebook
- set of screw drivers
- set of mini screw drivers
- a small ratchet set
- standard pliers
- needle nose pliers
- wire stripper
- wire/side cuter
- 2x 8” C-wrenches
- retractable utility knife
- tweezers
- scissors
- allen wrench set
- tape[electrical, duct, masking(maybe gaff if I can find it or “borrow” a roll)]
- quick links
- extra plugs(Edison and stage pin)
- safety cables
- rope and string
- fishing wire
- extra wire
- flashlight(my Maglight)
- tie line
- altman wrench
- tape measure
- ruler and lighting template
@propmonkey
Consider including a couple of pieces of chalk in at least two colors, always useful for quickly erasable / non-permanent marking.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Here's what I think should be a necessity for you to have soon:

- something to carry tools in
- set of screw drivers
- needle nose pliers
- wire/side cuter
- 1x 8” C-wrenches
- retractable utility knife
- tape measure

anything on top of that is a bonus. You can get away with whats listed here to start, and build on it later. Why 2 c-wrenches though?
This above is pretty close to the required tool list from my Local and my employer. That list in the OP is a huge amount of gear to haul for a load in/out.
Safety cables? You'll never get them back. The house or the act supplies those.
Tape will walk, whether you OK it or not. So will any tools you're not carrying on you.
If it's a nice Fluke meter, that'll walk first.
Rope? Like 10mm rope or similar? Only if you're an up rigger on the call.
Twine/trick line? Again, that's something the house needs to provide.

Craftsman/Snap-on/Matco level tools or above? That's gonna get expensive to replace when they walk when you're not where you set your stuff down. Harbor Freight makes things that won't make you cry when they grow legs.

I'd start with looking at the venue(s) you're regularly in and then: don't duplicate for yourself personally what the house provides. How depleted/decimated are these venues you're working in that you need to get all this stuff- or perhaps you anticipate going on the road in about 2 years?

Don't get me wrong: I've had that job at the City owned venue with nothing but a shop full of trash, 6 outdated mics, a hole in the stage deck and a roster of people who are so inexperienced that "order of operations" instructions for turning on the PA and not smoking the amps still resulted in an average of 2 smoked amps per year. So yeah, in that situation I humped a ton of gear in every time I was scheduled in the rotation- but everything was padlocked and labelled "no loaners". And nothing I brought ever stayed in the building when I left at the end of the day, be it DeWalt brand, Harbor Freight or even a safety cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back