Conventional Fixtures Suggestions for theatrical LED downlight (nonmoving)

dreamist

Hey gang!

My venue is an old barn theatre which seats 348. Grid height (top of the joists) is right about 15', so the throw tends to be about 14' or so shooting straight down.

I've been using some cheap China movers (360w RGBW zoomable) for the last few seasons, and I think I've determined that mostly what I need is a good quality LED downlight. Most of the time I find myself using the movers in this role, so that I don't have to hang complicated systems of downlight in order to get the colors that I would like.. The China movers have been a positive education experience (and have produced some great looks as well) but I'd like to ditch the extra hassle and noise when all I need is a robust downlight system.

Last season I demo'd some fixtures:
- ETC ColorSource PAR
- Martin Rush Par 2
- Philips ShowLine Par 155

I liked all three fixtures for different reasons, and found none of them "perfect".. My biggest concern with the ColorSource was punch compared to the other two fixtures. The Rush Par 2 was probably my least favorite, mostly due to the automated zoom -- seems like added fragility when I don't really need it. I liked the SL 155, but haven't heard great things about how Philips is progressing through all the various mergers..

My stage is a fairly strange configuration size-wise.. I am attaching an old sketchup that I threw together a while back.. the main acting area tends to be about 32' wide by 20' deep or so. It's all thrust.

Any thoughts on fixtures I ought to consider for this space? I'm about to get into the season and I don't think I want to do another season with the movers as downlight..

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Joe

Attachments

• Playhouse-Stage-ForDimensions-ANGLE.png
    Playhouse-Stage-ForDimensions-ANGLE.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 299
I've been really impressed with the Colorsource line. Take a look at the new Colorsource Deep blue as well, which covers some of the more saturated colors that the original CS had trouble mixing. Phillips hasn't impressed me lately, and I wouldn't buy anything from them until they demonstrate they have any idea of what they are doing... One other thing to look at might be the altman spectra par 100. I haven't used the par, but the cyc version has an impressive range of color for a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a few demo units is certainly wise thinking, Joe. That way you can actually see what the mix of color from each manufacturer's fixture looks like on your stage and scenery. Apollo has a new silent RGBAW wash fixture which may suit your needs-

http://www.apollodesign.net/Products/View/4782.aspx

If you'd like a demo, I'll arrange for a unit to be sent to you-
The site looks like that unit has a 25 degree beam angle. With the 14' throw mentioned in the OP, I think 25 degrees would be an issue. I can't tell if the unit has multiple lensing options, none of the links in the download tab work.

Hi danTt, the Apollo site is being updated now with a 'fresh face' due in the near future. My apologies regarding the download tab, that can be frustrating!

As many fixed beam wash manufacturers hope to keep units sealed and away from end-user screwdrivers, diffraction media has become increasingly popular to widen and shape the beam of light. With a variety of beam widths available (27, 32, 40 and 65 degree options) it's become more common to make the light fit the position than vice versa.

http://www.apollodesign.net/Products/View/3917.aspx

(And I'll ask how soon the download tab will be back in service!)

I've been really impressed with the Colorsource line. Take a look at the new Colorsource Deep blue as well, which covers some of the more saturated colors that the original CS had trouble mixing. Phillips hasn't impressed me lately, and I wouldn't buy anything from them until they demonstrate they have any idea of what they are doing... One other thing to look at might be the altman spectra par 100. I haven't used the par, but the cyc version has an impressive range of color for a reasonable price.

I love ETC so I know I would have a good experience with the ColorSource line, I'm just worried that their output is quite a bit less than the Rush Par 2 or ShowLine 155.. Doesn't sound like there's been many new additions in this particular space the last couple years though -- everyone must be mostly developing in the mover space I guess :-/

I'll see if I can get another demo of the ColorSource and ask for both the original and the deep blue.. end of the day I guess I just have to bite the bullet one way or another and hit the order button ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back