Suggestions for touring dimmer packs/racks

nishrigo

I work with a lighting equipment rental company. We currently have touring dimmer racks - one 24 dimmer rack and two 12 dimmer racks, 4000W each. These dimmers are about 10 years or so old and are obviously analog dimmers. We have installed a digital to analog decoder in each dimmer rack, so that we can use consoles sending DMX signals. The issue we are now facing is that over age, the dimmers are now not giving a similar output - as in the same load at the same intensity reads different for different dimmers.

Now we are looking to getting some digital dimmers. I would like some suggestions for what dimmers we should go for. Since we do rentals, portability along with reliability is paramount. Another thing to consider is that I work in India.

So please suggest digital dimmer packs/racks that would be suitable for our needs.

Thanks!

Well, technically it's Digital MultipleX, so digital is part of the equation. That said, Sensor racks are hard to beat but I imagine it depends on what's available in your area. If they aren't widely imported*, they may be cost-prohibitive.

Maybe we can look at it from another angle and ask what is everybody else using, and what do the rental shops carry? That's usually a pretty good indicator. You want something high quality but also common in your area. Even the best rack is no more than a hunk of metal if it breaks down and there's no one who can repair it and parts arrive on the slow boat*.

Another question: do you need the 4,000 watts per channel? That will narrow your options quite a bit if you do.

*Perhaps Barbizon can help. After all, they were named the ETC dealer for India. Even better, they're in your city!

Last edited:
I work with a lighting equipment rental company. We currently have touring dimmer racks - one 24 dimmer rack and two 12 dimmer racks, 4000W each. These dimmers are about 10 years or so old and are obviously analog dimmers. We have installed a digital to analog decoder in each dimmer rack, so that we can use consoles sending DMX signals. The issue we are now facing is that over age, the dimmers are now not giving a similar output - as in the same load at the same intensity reads different for different dimmers.

Now we are looking to getting some digital dimmers. I would like some suggestions for what dimmers we should go for. Since we do rentals, portability along with reliability is paramount. Another thing to consider is that I work in India.

So please suggest digital dimmer packs/racks that would be suitable for our needs.

Thanks!

Hello!

Not to speak against new dimmers but if your biggest problem is analogue trims shifting due to mechanical vibration during handling, you might consider replacing the trim pots, usually two or three per dimmer, with affordable multi-turn potentiometers. In my area, many folks are still running old Strand dimmers from the 1970's and 80's. The best thing I've ever done for the dimmers I'm charged with nursing was replacing all the trimmers with ten-turn units costing approximately $3.00 each Canadian. Trimming has been reduced to once every few years, down from several times per year.
I too will speak in favour of ETC's Sensor racks but replacing trim pots may buy you time to organize finances.
Multi-turn trimmers are far more resistant to shifting settings due to vibration and they're pretty quick to install as well.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

10 years is not old for dimmers! We have a 36k system for the house here that has been running 24/7 since 1989.

I'm surprised they are that young and not DMX (Introduced in the 80s.) I suspect the trim pots are not bad yet, but it sounds like the unit just needs alignment. When was the last alignment? If it was less than a year ago, the trimmers may be going bad. If the answer is "never" then it is time.

If you have your heart set on new dimmers, I would also say ETC Sensor is the way to go.

Before we all get our hearts set on Sensor, we need to think about 2 things;
1 - this is 240V land
2 - what connection options are available in the locations this will be used?

There's no point in speccing something that needs cams in if 40A outlets are what's available where it gets used...

And agreed on 4kW being an odd dimmer size, that's 16.67 amps, so too much for a 15A connector...

Thanks!

Hello again!

Normal, open frame, less than a full turn trim pots fall prey to many things; cooling fans dragging in dirt, temperature variations, moisture, etcetera. In the case of non-fixed install, portable units, vibration becomes a bigger problem. Touring's not an easy life for dimmers. In my area, out of sweltering 53' trailers in summer into air conditioned arenas then back into the trucks for a few hundred miles of jostling along. In winter, out of frozen trailers into warm venues, warmed up to operating temperatures then back into the freezing trucks. Moisture and condensation are not your dimmers' friends, constant companions maybe but not their friends.
Now a days trimming is essentially a non-issue but if you're trying to bounce antique dimmers about for fun 'n proffit you really want to consider upgrading to multi-turn trim pots. Cleaning and re-trimming economy open frame trimmers is a waste of resources.
'nough said.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
(and you're welcome!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back