Summer Lighting Internships

Hey everyone,
I currently at Oklahoma City University and the BFA Design and Production department pushes hard for students to get internships in their respective emphasis during the summer. I already have been looking at a few places and have a couple of things lined up, I have also been checking BackStageJobs but I thought it couldn't hurt to put the word out and see if anyone knew some internship/summer jobs for a Lighting Design and Technologie major.

If yall have any suggestions or heard of any places that are looking please leave a comment!

Thanks!

Music Theatre Wichita. They're soliciting applications for apprentices, interns and full staff positions.

I would go to USITT to talk to various summer companies to see what may be possible. I would also strongly reccomend talking to companies like PRG, 4Wall, Barbizon, and PSAV to see what might be possible. Roaming online sites like backstage jobs won’t get you very far, in my opinion. Getting face to face with people literally makes all the difference in the world. These places will get a billion resumes but where the decision is made is really on the human level, on the persons personality.

I would go to USITT to talk to various summer companies to see what may be possible. I would also strongly reccomend talking to companies like PRG, 4Wall, Barbizon, and PSAV to see what might be possible. Roaming online sites like backstage jobs won’t get you very far, in my opinion. Getting face to face with people literally makes all the difference in the world. These places will get a billion resumes but where the decision is made is really on the human level, on the persons personality.
This is very good advice! In person if at all possible is by far the best way to go in this industry. Knocking on doors with a resume in hand. Where is the closest summer theater festival? Go there. And yes the big Boys like PRG and 4Wall all need people to coil cable. (Who rents gear near you?) It's ugly hard work but the most important thing at this point in your career is meeting people and impressing them with your hard work and skill.

To give you some perspective. A friend of mine did a summer internship with PRG. He did grunt work for the summer and his sparkling personality and positive work ethic made an impression on them. After he finished college he applied for a job at one of their shops as a bench tech and they hired him. After working for 1.5 years in their shop he was approached by PRG to go into their touring division. He has been out on tour for a few years through PRG with a lot of big name acts.

Shleps gear in shop.
Plays the long game well.
Career made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back