Sup everyone

My name is Josh. I'm 25 and I am new to the lighting scene and Control Booth. Looking forward to a career in concert lighting. I am trying to develop a synchronized lighting system where I can take the sounds and feelings that you get from music, and turn it into a concert effect where everyone can experience what the music artist is going for. Most of the lighting aspects for music today, in my opinion, are static. They focus on flash and wowing. I'm in a camp where I want to highlight the highs and experience the aspects of music visually. I think it can be artistic and unique for the lighting industry. I have no experience but I have motivation. That's my intro, nice to meet ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Josh! Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. There are a lot of great resources here to help you expand your knowledge. Be sure to check out our Wiki, and use the search function. There is a lot of great stuff here in the archives.

I hope you enjoy your time here on CB!

~Dave

Yep, welcome aboard Josh!

There are many members and visitors here at the ControlBooth who spend time in concert lighting, either as a technician or managerial/administration role. Feel free to ask those questions, and be sure to assist others where and when you can.

Thanks Josh, and welcome!

Welcome to the Booth! There's a reason that concert lighting is often called "Flash and Trash". That said, I'm not sure how much new technology is needed to fix the problem. From my point of view, what's needed is more performers who have the budget to hire a gifted lighting designer and then the budget and time to work with the designer to make sure that the lighting expresses exactly what the artist is feeling musically. I think most of the industry will be suspicious of anything that tries to automate that process, as we have all seen the lame dj products out there with a mics that sort of blink to the beat poorly. On the other hand with all the computer power that we carry around in cell phones, I suppose anything is possible.

Jump in and join the discussion, you'll find lots of really smart people here who work for manufacturers, dealers, working pros, and younger people like yourself just starting out in their career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back