Super Bowl halftime lighting.

Yeah, other than the amout of $ I'm sure was spent it wasn't that impressive. I've seem better light shows done at my school (with a lot less technical difficulties) for less than .1% of the cost with entire (lights, sound, stage manager) crew consisting of 2 professionals, 2 students, and a volunteer.

Yeah, other than the amout of $ I'm sure was spent it wasn't that impressive. I've seem better light shows done at my school (with a lot less technical difficulties) for less than .1% of the cost with entire (lights, sound, stage manager) crew consisting of 2 professionals, 2 students, and a volunteer.

On the other hand you have a bit more than 7 minutes to load in and its much easier to do something interesting in a small space than one that large.

On the other hand you have a bit more than 7 minutes to load in and its much easier to do something interesting in a small space than one that large.
Most of the lighting was in fixed positions. What was on the stage should have been setup as much as possible and rehearsed until the techs could do it blindfolded with both hands behind their back and their leg shackled. They had the budget to do it...

Besides the 7 minutes to set up. You also have to remember there may be the restrictions placed on them by the stadium operators and design. Of course there is the economy... I heard that tickets were available day of game at the box office if you wanted to go to the Superbowl (The promoter may have cut the budget because they were not selling tickets). Then you have to remember that two years ago when Prince performed a lot of the instruments were destroyed by the rain... which had to cost the NFL a huge chunk of change. Finally, remember we were all spoiled by the Olympic ceremonies so our standards are a little high right now.

So yes it wasn't the most spectacular light show ever. However there are a lot of potential reasons why and in the end it was functional... with the exception of the sax player who they didn't seem to be able to light.:rolleyes:

..Finally, remember we were all spoiled by the Olympic ceremonies so our standards are a little high right now..

I was just thinking that before I read your post.:) I Thought it was an alright show. I got a bigger kick out of seeing Max, Labamba, and Pender (I think that's his name, the trumpet player), who are all part of Conan's late night Band. (I love that show :mrgreen:)

I think the "being outdoors" part is what really holds it back. There are no overhead hang points and an even haze is near impossible. I think if we had an indoor superbowl soon there would be much more impressive lighting.

I have seen much more impressive outdoor lighting at local festivals down here (ACL and SXSW come to mind).

Mike

I would love to see a video of the load-in, just to see how you get all of that up in less than 10 minutes. With all those cameras there must be a clip somewhere but I can't find it.

I thought the lighting wasn't bad, a bit plain, but it was fine. Bruce, at any rate, more than made up for it. He was rocking it for all it was worth, and it was a great time just watching him run and wheeze his way around stage.

They usually have a time lapse of it floating around. If it was anything like our ins/outs they have practiced it about 20 or 30 times (one of the tours I was on completely loaded in and out 5 times before we left the warehouse) before they did it.

Mike

It was .... meh, just meh. Compared to previous years....meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back