Supertitles/surtitles software

Bgarrett74

Hello,
I am looking for a good supertitle/surtitles software for operas. I have been using the Figaro software but I find it to be cumbersome to use at times. I also heard they are not in business any longer. I could use power point but I don't feel it will give me the options I would need. I want a software that i can insert slides easily and not disrupt the order numbers. I want a software that will let me do block changes for all slides. I want a good solid software that is specifically meant for supertitles. Not sure if this is the place to post this question but I thought it would be a start. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks,
B

I can find out what we (Opera Australia) use as I am pretty sure it will meet your requirements!

I'm a huge proponent of Qlab's software as well. If you already own it (every single theatre should own it), use that. But if you're purchasing something from scratch, I would check out RenewedVision's software called ProPresenter. It's meant to display lyrics in churches, so is probably the best tool for subtitles. It has a "Template" feature which allows you to alter the font, size, color, etc at the click of a button. Super easy.

Want to just try it first? You can demo it for free for 14 days.

My first opera I was a supertitles operator.
Check out this link:
http://www.nytheatre-wire.com/ct14061t.htm

I am not a qlab person, and I think that is a little to complex for this application, but to each his own. I use PowerPoint, as it is nearly universal. Another software (that I have not used) is Qstit, which I have not used but would love to try. Do a google search of supertitle software for more.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

After looking at the Glypheo, I think it will work great for what I need. I am curious how this software could be free. I don't want to go with the software and then have it not be supported anymore. Does anyone have an idea why it is free and why it will be free forever?
Thanks.

Hello,
I am looking for a good supertitle/surtitles software for operas. I have been using the Figaro software but I find it to be cumbersome to use at times. I also heard they are not in business any longer. I could use power point but I don't feel it will give me the options I would need. I want a software that i can insert slides easily and not disrupt the order numbers. I want a software that will let me do block changes for all slides. I want a good solid software that is specifically meant for supertitles. Not sure if this is the place to post this question but I thought it would be a start. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks,
B
You might consider asking the San Fransisco Opera. A few years back they were the kings of opera titling.
In my era, titles were done with 35 mm slides and super slides.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

If you want to see the budget is of no concern version... check out Sante Fe Opera or Lincoln Center. They both have entire teams that only do subtitles individualized in multiple languages in screens and speakers on the back of the seats....

At our musical theater, I've used Libre office impress.. It's free, and can make your slides there, or import powerpoint slides.

To transcribe the script I use google docs to dictate on my phone or ipad. As fast as you can read it, chop it up into "slide sized" bits by saying "new line"
edit the doc to place whatever column name you want at the top of the doc.

Then you can export/download as plain text, and end up with a document with your "lines" all in a column.. Import that into a google sheets spreadsheet.

Then the magic... there is a connector add on to chrome/google docs called "autocrat" You can prep a single slide template in google slides and autocrat
will dump your script spreadsheet into a bunch of individual slides.. So if you don't like the look.. you could change the base slide template, and change en masse by doing another import.

Find a text mistake.. can fix the individual slide, or put in the plain text doc and re import in a matter of a few minutes.

Autocrat is not intuitive, but worth going through some tutorials to make this work

So all proofreading can be done in the original plain text.. and once you learn the process a script or libretto can be transcribed and put into slices in just a bit over the time it takes you to read it out loud.

Final google sheets can download/export as a ppt. and Bob's your uncle..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back