Surgical Tape Residue

What's the difference between the Transpore and the Nexcare First Aide Flexible Clear tape? And for that matter, also the Micropore and Durapore tapes. Is there a clear difference between these or are they all close to the same.

I use the First Aide Flexible Clear, and it's worked really well except for the sometimes behind the ear or down the neck where the actors sweat a lot. Do the other tapes hold better?

And, is rubbing alcohol the best thing to use for mike cords? I think Countryman told me to use butyl alcohol -- is there a difference?

Thanks. John

..................And, is rubbing alcohol the best thing to use for mike cords? I think Countryman told me to use butyl alcohol -- is there a difference?

Thanks. John

I know squat about tape but I'd be happy to answer the alcohol question.
butyl alcohol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanol
is different from Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Butyl alcohol is a much stronger solvent and therefore I would tend to shy away from it more than I would the use of Isopropyl, although for a really stubborn amount of goo it would be suitible. I'll stand by my earlier posts however, and say that there are several alternatives. Simple Green is a very good solvent for tape residue as is WD-40. Simple Green is also Biodegradable and therefoe a bit nicer to the enviroment. there are also several citrus based solvents availible that work wonders on cords.

What's the difference between the Transpore and the Nexcare First Aide Flexible Clear tape? And for that matter, also the Micropore and Durapore tapes. Is there a clear difference between these or are they all close to the same.

On the former, the only difference is the labeling. Transpore is the name they use selling it to hospitals and other institutions; if you look closely, the flexible clear tape (at least as it's packaged in the US) actually has the name Transpore on the package in fine print.

I'm not familiar with the other two brands you mentioned. Here in the US, standard recommendations are Transpore, Blenderm, and Tegaderm, all from 3M/Nexcare.

--A

Thanks Andy ... looks like we're about as good as we can get on the tape then.

This may be going a bit off topic, but I'm thinking of trying the lav under the wig for actors who will have permanent mic assignments and wigs. My first thought would be to put the cord under the hairnet cap if they have one, then a thin piece of tape high up on the forehead if absolutely needed. What type of adhesive is generally used on the forehead? Or do people always use the halo cords (they look like they would show, and our stage is small, so the front row audience is only a few feet from the actors).

Thanks. John

I've heard of people not even taping the mics out on the forehead. Last show I did, an old tech taught us to just put a bobby pin by the mic, and stick in their real hair under the wig, and just have the mic bairly sticking out.

I think I've also heard of people just using a little spirit gum, if you want to bring it further down than that.

I know you can use goo gone, and isopropyl alcohol to clean the tape residue left on cables, but what is the best way to clean the black residue left on actors' necks and faces?

Is the alcohol good for that, or is there a better kind of soap?

After many years I've finally found the perfect answer. Go to the medical supply house (where you buy your tape) and ask for Ostomy Adhesive Remover. The brand I use is "Smith & Nephew UniSolve Liquid Adhesive Remover." Its a bit pricey (like there was anything about theater that is not), but it takes just a trace of it on a wipe or a cotton ball. The liquid is about $7.00 for 8 0z. There have prepackaged wipes like alcohol wipes, but I've not used that product. It takes no pressure, or scrubbing; its completely non toxic, and is actually soothing on the red irritated skin where the tape has been. Sometimes I don't use it every day but my actors all know its available when they want it. I'm sure there are other brands that would work, but I haven't tried them. Give it a try. You will love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back