Surround / Sound panning between several speakers in QLab?

I'll be soon starting a production where the composer want the music/"sounds" to be able to "bounce" between four or six speakers. I see that I can use the built in matrix and route the sound to different outputs, but I guess I'd need to do a whole lot of fade-cues for the panning to work.

For instance, let's say there's four speakers in a line. I'd want the sound to start at speaker #1, and end up in speaker #4. Would the correct method be to make one fade cue which fades between speaker #1 and #2, then a second which is triggered when the first ends (or slightly before) which fades between speaker #2 and #3, then a THIRD cue to get the sound from speaker #3 to #4?

This seems like a lot of programing, especially if I'd want the sound to just "bounce" pretty randomly between the four speakers.

There are no surround capabilities in the sound desk I'll be using (SD11) afaik. So instead of doing it in Qlab, I'd have to make snapshots and program in fader fade-times in the desk. Would this be less time consuming?

How would you do it?

QLab. Once you write the fades once you can cut and paste and drag a new sound file onto them. Need to change order, just rearrange the cues. As you build the first set just make sure that the fade downs are assigned to all the other outputs.

QLab. Once you write the fades once you can cut and paste and drag a new sound file onto them. Need to change order, just rearrange the cues. As you build the first set just make sure that the fade downs are assigned to all the other outputs.

Right! So I make sort of one "template" (fade cue) for each "to"-speaker with the fade in/out curves, and create a group for every sound (cue) I'd like to pan here and there, and just rearrange the different fade-cues in that group in the order I'd want the sound to go from speaker 1, 2, 3 etc?

I did not understand the last sentence you wrote though.

I did this on SCS using fade cues on an already playing music track, using center speaker and stereo pair outputs, the fade cues had to change both volume and pan of the different outputs in order to move the sound around. it worked pretty will though :).

I think Smellyglove's comment in that last sentence was to make sure you turn down/off all of the output channels that you are fading away from :)

You said you want it RANDOM, you can ACTUALLY make it random with a little work in QLab.

Yes I'd have a group cue with all the component cues inside (as I do with basically any cue). Using multiple fades to transition between various outputs. Also one could with a little scripting write a script to trigger a random cue out of a selection of cues and cycle and do it again. I have a sample I could send you if you are interested.

Let me know if you'd like further assistance.

You said you want it RANDOM, you can ACTUALLY make it random with a little work in QLab.

Yes I'd have a group cue with all the component cues inside (as I do with basically any cue). Using multiple fades to transition between various outputs. Also one could with a little scripting write a script to trigger a random cue out of a selection of cues and cycle and do it again. I have a sample I could send you if you are interested.

Let me know if you'd like further assistance.

Sorry, that was a stupid description. I don't actually want it to bounce randomly around. I just want to be able to be quick to set up the cue when the composer asks me if "what if we go from there, to there to there?"

But pls send the script, or can you upload it here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back