Suspending a disco ball?

JLNorthGA

One of the groups that rents our facility wants me to hang a disco ball and use it for part of their show.
It is a dance recital.

The ball is not heavy. I can screw the motor portion into a piece of 2 x 6 of a suitable length. I can then suspend it from the first electric using galvanized aircraft cable (1/8").

Any other suggestions? Or should I just say no? I figure it is well within the weight ratings of a single piece of 1/8" GAC (and I would be using 2 pieces). I have some chain if y'all think that would be better.

Mirror Balls really have a love of that rule of gravity! Carefully inspect the motor and the attachment to the ball. They may be light, but they still pack a punch when they drop from enough height. Sounds like the 2 x 6 will probably have more weight. Make sure everything you use is rated for overhead use. Other then that, it's common sense. Been a while since I've seen a screw on motor.

Mine is bolted to a small piece of plywood that is bolted to a c clamp and then all safetied together and hung on a batten.

Via tapatalk

I'm having a total brain fart here, but ours is bolted to the green steel box stuff with lots of holes in it, and has one side open. Can't believe I can't think of the name, to many dance recitals must have fried my brain. Anyway then there are 2 c-clamps bolted to it with safeties. I use a 4' long piece of 1/8" GAC between the motor and the ball. You could also use a safety cable.

Be sure to inspect the ball beforehand for loose mirror squares. One of those things can tear up feet in no time. I've heard bad stories about mirror balls losing their squares during a show before.

I'm having a total brain fart here, but ours is bolted to the green steel box stuff with lots of holes in it, and has one side open. Can't believe I can't think of the name, to many dance recitals must have fried my brain. Anyway then there are 2 c-clamps bolted to it with safeties. I use a 4' long piece of 1/8" GAC between the motor and the ball. You could also use a safety cable.

Unistrut ;)

I'm having a total brain fart here, but ours is bolted to the green steel box stuff with lots of holes in it, and has one side open. Can't believe I can't think of the name, .
Sounds like Unistrut.

Admittedly not knowing the specifics, I don't like screws in this application. I'd feel a lot better about through-bolting the motor to the 2x6 (probably with machine screws and nylock nuts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back