SWAG?

Now, once you've got a piece or two of swag, you have to consider if you're moving towards not having to buy certain types of clothing and accessories. I have enough golf shirts, t-shirts, and long sleeve cotton shirts to not need to buy any of those, and I don't. I don't have enough button up non dress shirts yet to not need any of those, but, I don't wear too many of em anyway.

I always have someone's logo on, be it my employer's, some Microsoft product, or some other vendor that I've dealt with. I also have a couple of nice fleeces and warmer stuff, so that covers that range of things. Have a Windows windbreaker and a windows cool weather coat (more than a windbreaker, less than a ski jacket). I don't yet have a ski jacket with somebody's logo on it, so I still have to invest in that industry.

Two of the nicest backpacks I've seen in a while are swag items...haven't had to get a backpack in three years at least. Wore out the swiss army branded one, on to this new one from somebody called "ogio". Also have an MS logo bowling shirt ... haven't had occasion to wear that though. Have ample supply of mugs and such for organizing my desk too. Mugs don't rate too high on the cool factor though.

Trade shows at least in the IT arena aren't usually good swag, maybe a couple t shirts, some crappy pens and more cloth bags. The good stuff like the fleeces, windbreakers, backpacks, etc you have got to know people. I usually (re)load when I'm at somebody's office or on a campus myself.

If you are in 5th grade or less I would be glad to do it, otherwise prepare to fail miserably.

September Lighting and Sound America--"the Swagman is Coming To town."

Havne't read it yet, I'm going to sometime though....not sure if the articles are online or not....

This thread may be dead, but what the hell...

SWAG: Sh*t Whiners Ain't Gettin'
Stolen While At Gig
Stuff We Ain't Gettin'

as a joke i was told SWAG="Stuff We Ain't Gettin'"

as a joke i was told SWAG="Stuff We Ain't Gettin'"
On the road it was told to me crap We Aint Got. But the actual origin of SWAG goes back to the dock loaders in New York City. SWAG was used to bribe dock loaders to unload a particular ship before others that were ahead of it. The actual term is Stolen Without A Gun or SWAG. At least that was the way it was told to me in the 70's when I was touring.....
Jimmy:twisted:

Swag is a type of curtain motion where I come from. A 'Draw' is a centre parting curtain and a 'swag' opens diagonally (also known as 'contour' motion) A guillotine is an up down motion.

I've got a fair few bits over the past year or so (I've only really been doing backstage stuff for a year, considering I'm only 15 and there isn't a decent theatre in town).

I've got t-shirts from Martin, Apollo, Rosco, High End and a couple of others.
I've got key chains, pens etc from all the above and more.
I got a coat from Sennheiser which was pretty sweet.
I also got t-shirts from my Work Experience placement.
Then there are the crew shirts from school shows, and also a couple of Am Dram groups.

Best bit is a rigging spanner (complete with bottle opener for the end of the run :p) from a shop I did a few favours for.

Don't really know if that's good or bad for a year...but I don't think I'm going to need to buy a t-shirt again in a hurry!

Can't wait till I'm old enough to actually work on shows properly (not just for the swag of course, I do love any kind of theatre).

Timmy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back