Automated Fixtures Sweep multiple moving lights with ETC Element

WFair

[Using ETC Element] I am trying to program an effect or a series of linked cues (can't figure which is a better approach) to simulate a train passing across the stage. I have 2 old Technobeams (mirror fixtures) and 2 MAC DesignSpot 250. The idea is to have them each sweep straight across the stage (in my case SL to SR) in a straight line, fade out at the far edge, reset to the opposite side of the stage, and sweep again. I want them each to sweep at their fastest speed, and not all synchronized (they can't all start at SL at the same time or it will look funny). This whole sequence should loop a couple times and then fade out. In a perfect world they might strobe a little along the way). Of course there will be some conventionals on throughout this from the previous and next cue...so the existing "look" should remain unaffected. Any ideas...reference instructions...pointers? Thanks!

Pretty sure this is doable. I could pull it off on Express I think (I clock more hours/year on that than Element or Ion). Playing with the offline editor at the moment, because I like a challenge.

Thanks Bob! Just for easy discussion, my MAC250s are addressed as 120 and 140 and the Technobeams are 240 and 260...not that it matters...but might be helpful in communication a solution. Thanks!

Playing around with Express Offline, how I'd do it on the older ETC console is build 4 effect subs, 1 for each light. I'd pad the start and finish of each with the fixtures dark to get the proper offsets and returns to start in sync with each other. I'd then have a macro bump on all 4 subs at once, wait total time, them bump all 4 subs off at once.

You might be happier with a cue sequence. Effects generally only apply to one or two parameters (pan, tilt.) So changing intensity, position and strobe simultaneously would require 3 effects. On the other hand you could then alter these independently without messing up the other cues. If you have a fixed loop count you're in good shape. If it's run til commanded to stop, you will want to read up on stopping loops. That's a case that effects do better, but not exclusively.

Since Element is a tracking console you don't have to worry about lights that don't change through the effect. They'll track on just fine. If some are changing have them do so with long cue times. It can handle multiple cues/fades happening at once just not on the same fixtures. A second cue list would be nice at this point, but you don't have one, so keep in mind how the loop works. It's often good to have a 'landing' cue that looks a lot like the background. That will let you play with the loop without worrying about the rest of the scene.

I hope that helps.

I often use part cues along with follow. Depending on the position of the Techno beams as you move from point a to b it may arch. Create multiple position points in the part cue to keep straight.

The Express will let you use subroutines which play back cues like a step effect.

Step effects should also work for position movements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back