Swipe Card entry system

Adding a keypad is not that hard and the keypads I use are card readers too. However you need a way to add and change the code without applying to the almighty administrators of a school or those who control such things. I am fortunate that person is me and I can do all sorts of things to my system. There are devices like these Keypad controller which is a stand alone device that can control 1 door but it has limitations such as no time control and you also need a power backup because if the power goes out the doors unlock.
That makes sense, I personally believe that anyone who is high up in a department so head and certain teachers should have access to be able to assign codes and have keycards issued without having upper admin interfering, like they should be restricted to only assigning certain permissions and also maybe if there was the ability to interface with the schools SIS then you can make sure that only students that have stuff scheduled during times or do anything in those areas are able to have codes or be given codes.

Just out of interest what specific system do you have in your PAC?

Edit: adjusted spelling from put to out in final sentence.

Having different keys is good but depending on how many different ones you’ve got then i would imagine it would start getting annoying, for our PAC we have 3 levels of key; Master, PA1 and PA2. Master obviously unlocks everything in the building then PA1 is restricted to the main theatre, classrooms, cupboards and doesn’t include anything like the cleaners cupboard then PA2 only allows access to the main theatre and classrooms in the building and might allow access into some other area but takes away access from our BioBox/Booth and our tech cupboard.
Yeah again... school district security polices. We have a theater master key that opens every door in the theater, a key to unlock the padlocks on the fly rail, and a key for the motorized electrics. The district is very restrictive on who gets a full building master. I'm not even allowed a key to unlock the stage door from the outside, I have to go around through the lobby and use the keycard reader to get in the building and then unlock the stage door from the inside. That said, it's nice when the random kid shows up asking for help getting into the band room to be able to say, "Sorry kid I don't have that key."

That makes sense, I personally believe that anyone who is high up in a department so head and certain teachers should have access to be able to assign codes and have keycards issued without having upper admin interfering, like they should be restricted to only assigning certain permissions and also maybe if there was the ability to interface with the schools SIS then you can make sure that only students that have stuff scheduled during times or do anything in those areas are able to have codes or be given codes.

Just out of interest what specific system do you have in your PAC?

Edit: adjusted spelling from put to out in final sentence.
I am also in Australia and at my other place of employment which is where I administer changes to the door system we use Genesis Access systems As for our PAC which is almost complete (opening in March) we are using a different system but the name escapes me at this point. I will not have any admin rights to that one.

@JonCarter When I discovered our commercial AM station's studio master key had less metal than my tech' master, I invested several over night hours VERY carefully filing down my tech' master to a Grand Master. It worked superbly and lightened my load.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Yep, works most every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back