Design switching remotely

AndyPandy

hello.

A show I'm working as part of requires the use of 2 (or perhaps more) of these cheap flashing/spinning beacons much like this: Yellow Fuzz Light - DJ Equipment from Djkit.co.uk

My problem is switching them on and off from a remote location since all the ones I've seen have a power switch in line with the mains power. I'd like to avoid running power cables from switched sockets with my behind the desk, since that would involve running a lot of extra cabling that we dont have!

Anyone got any ideas, or solutions that they might have used in the past for similar problems?

PS: should have said, I'm just looking for a simple on/off solution, and I'm trying to work this by spending as little as possible. I need it safe, but on a budget.

Not exactly what you're asking, but I've worked a number of community theatre shows where we needed some sort of AC powered device on an overhead pipe which needed to be turned on and off. The cheapest way is simply to run normal extension cable all the way to the SM console. Since it was community theatre, we asked the actors to bring in any extension cords and power strips they had lying around at home, and we got way more than we could ever need.

If you are qualified to do so, you could build a switch mechanism - build a box and wire two properly rated switches (one for each light) then run extension cords from the switches to the light. Be sure to include strain relief!

In theory, this could easily be done with hardware store parts.

We had one of these built by our TD at my high school - he built a wooden box and installed four switches for some DJ lights we used at dances... the only problem was that all the cords were really short...

Thanks for the replys guys.

One of my problems is that I have access to power in the areas needing the lights, but not in any convenient location backstage, or at FOH to use switched sockets and extension leads.

Also, I cant use the dimmer solution. don't have any spare channels to do that with i'm afraid.

I had thought about building some sort of switch box, but using a relay to switch the mains voltage remotely, at the lights, since I dont have access to any more power from my position. this guy seems to have done pretty much what I had in mind, except his is a death trap. I'd be a **** sight more careful about what i was using:
Make #4: Remote Controlled Mains Switch - Critical Security.NET

I'm not sure I like the look of that tape holding bits together, and his sildering doesnt look to super...

Thanks again for the replies.

As this is a community theatre project, its on a very tight budget, and the lighting is on loan for this particular one. Its all analogue control, with a selection of Par56's and some other bits and bobs that I might be able to get, so it looks like DMX is out, cos it would have to come out my own pocket to go down that route.

I think I'm going to have to borrow some extremely long extensions to run.

Cheers again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back