Synchronized Clocks

It's uncommon for an administration to appoint people to run department who want to destroy them as a matter of policy, but FME is right; this budget is largely ignored *in most cases*.

This one's stirred up a lot of hornets, but they're all nerdy hornets and may not help.

I haven't heard what they want to do with the NTP servers and time pages.

I have to laugh a bit about Jay's comment, though. The current administration is full of people trying their best to kill the departments they run. For example, Scott Pruitt was clearly trying to kill the EPA. His replacement is doing the same thing, just a bit more quietly. The State Department is a fraction of what it was, and nearly irrelevant in terms of foreign policy. DeVoss is axing regulations at Education. If they could sell off the National Parks and build hotels in them, I'm sure they would.

NIST is run by the Department of Commerce, under Wilbur Ross. Need I say more?

You needn't; that's exactly the point I was making. :)

So far as I know, though, it's *just* the broadcasting, not the time-standards work per-se. Judah's job is secure -- does Judah still work there?

Doesn't really matter; there are enough Stratum 1 and 0 time services around the Internet that we'd just route around NIST going off line, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back